1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tell me about your black australorps!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gritsar, Aug 19, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I bought 8 chicks for my broodies to raise approx. four months ago. Five of them were sold as sexed heavy pullets. I managed to identify four of them as black sex links, but one is vastly different. Now I realize she is a black australorp. None of these chicks are very friendly because I let the broodies do all the raising and didn't handle them much at all.

I remember reading somewhere (though I can't find it now) that the pullet BAs have long-ish tail feathers, but I don't know anything else about the breed.

What can you tell me about them? She, "Rose", seems shy.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I don't know much about them, but I had one that layed for 14 years! Not very friendly, but what a great layer!

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks Ranchy. I am dedicating time to work with Rose to tame her down a bit. She's a very pretty bird.

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Yeah, pretty birds and good layers, I have 4 hens and a roo. He is a nice guy.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My Black Aussies are the sweetest, hardiest, best layers in my flock...and have been in any of the flocks I've owned over the years. They outshine most breeds for quirky and sweet personalities, good mothering instincts, and longevity of lay. They also retain a nice, meaty carcass for eating when they are done.

They are beautiful! They are great foragers, can fight for their rights on the roosts and seem to want to be around humans more than the other breeds I've raised...except for one RIR that just didn't like chickens and thought she belonged with the humans.

6. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Mine where okay with people, good layers (layed through winter!), and the one who went broody was a very good mother.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I like my BA's. You'll be glad to know my first two broodies this round of keeping chickens were BA's. They lay well and do have pretty good personalities. The Delawares had the best personalities but the BA's were not far behind. The BA's were pretty willing to try new things, considering they are chickens. You know how most chickens can be about changes.

I've been happy with them. When I get some new chickens to regain some of the genetics I lost in that dog attack, I'll probably include a few BA pullets to increase their influence in my flock, though I still have a couple left that are half BA.

8. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    My little 12 week old BA pullet is soooo sweet, and really quiet. I love seeing her in the run, because she has a BEAUTIFUL metallic sheen in the sunlight.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks y'all. I'm going to work with Rose a bit each day and see how she does. She is a curious little creature. As these younger birds get close to POL they are getting a bit friendlier. Never be in the realm of my brahma girls though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by