Tell me about your BROODY hens! please.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken5555, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Chicken5555

Chicken5555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello everyone. I want to add a few hens to my flock in the hopes that they'll go broody and hatch some chicks naturally.

What breeds do you have that go broody?
    How often do they go broody?
    Are they good mothers? Protectors.
    Are they from a breeder or a hatchery?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    1) I've just got mutts right now. Silkies, among others, are one breed known to be very good mothers.

2) Depends on the hen. Some go broody only once in a lifetime, but usually if a hen has gone broody once, she'll go broody again. I have a hen who hatches chicks, takes care of them for a few months, lays a few weeks then repeats.

3) Again, this depends on the hen, but most are great mothers. Protective, warn chicks of danger and are willing to put their lives on the line for the babies. Even hens that are normally gentle might become protective around you and attack you at times, but you need to learn to give her space to feel comfortable.

Sorry I can't answer #4. I just get birds from friends' flocks and hatch from my own.

3. Chicken5555

Thank you so much. Your hen that goes broody repeatedly, do you know what breed or mix she is?

4. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    If you are interested in having broody hens then you want to get some heritage breeds and avoid the hybridized/production chickens that are out there. Do your research. Some breeds are known to be better mothers than others. My Jersey Giants are known to be semi-broody for instance and we have already had 2 of our hens go broody in their first year and we let 1 of them hatch out 6 wonderful chicks and the broody hen did a great job of caring for them and getting them ready to join the main flock. They were purchased from Murray Mcmurray hatchery. There are reviews of different breeds on this very site and choosing the right one for you is one of the most important decisions you will be making as a chicken steward. Best Wishes.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Unfortunately, I don't. I've got a few hens that go broody like her (maybe not as much), but I don't know their mixes either. I think she's got Leghorn in her somewhere back, but that is definitely not known to be broody breed. You want heritage breeds, not normal hatchery stock. Getting hens from a breeder will be your best option.

6. Chicken5555

Yep, that's why I'm asking people about their experience with the breeds they have.

7. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  8. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    This is the reason that anecdotes are not "good research". Being "bred so much they do not have the broody instinct" is wildly inaccurate. Sure for hybrids like sex links that is true but misleading since there is no way that breeding heritage birds of good quality is ever going to remove some trait that they possess, that is not how genetics works. Buying from a breeder comes with its own risks. There are tons of disreputable people who call themselves breeders and will sell you cockerels when you want hens or birds with illnesses or defects out there. If you don't know what to look for then you are the one who is likely to lose out in that scenario.

9. Chicken5555

10. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sussex are very good broodies.Here is a silver laced wyandotte going broody.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by