Tell me about your campines and OEGBs!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Mar 24, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I think some if my new banties are campines and some are Old English Game bantums. What can you tell me about personality?

Thanks!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have OEGB in both Self Blue, and BBRed. They are very sweet. Handle them alot and they will be the sweetest things. My BBRed girls are very friendly. You can just reach in and pick them up and they sit right in your hand.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    The OEGBs are tee-tiny. They are about half the size of the silkie chicks. Does that sound right? They are also pretty zippy and inquisitive. They are not especially friendly, but they don't act like I'm a velocirator everything I reach in the brooder like some of the others do. I have high hopes for them. Are OEGBs as broody as LF OEGs? Are they as territorial and aggressive to other chickens? The stuff I've read online says that you have to seperate them with solid walls so they don't try to attack other chickens through the wire. Is this true for banties or just LF?

Any thoughts on campines? I've having a hard time finding info on them on the web. Has anyone had personal experience with them?

Thanks for the help!

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yup, oegb are very tiny chicks. They are fast little movers too.

Are OEGBs as broody as LF OEGs? My bbreds tried to set in January. But it was way too cold to have chicks so I had to take the eggs away. I was told by the breeder when I purchased my self blue pair that the bantams go broody alot and make great mothers.

Are they as territorial and aggressive to other chickens? Mine arent aggressive at all.

The stuff I've read online says that you have to seperate them with solid walls so they don't try to attack other chickens through the wire. Is this true for banties or just LF? Just Large Fowl. My Bantam roosters dont try to fight with eachother at all. I even kept my self blue pair and bbred trio together in the winter, and they didnt even fight. They were also purchased as adults from a breeder at a show.

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Some of my OEGB are as sweet and tame as they come...others will attack a shadow...some have had male companions and no issues some males barely tolerate themselves. In other words...it varies greatly from bird to bird. Most of the game birds have higher tendencies to go broody. Some will gifht through cages others could care less where they are. Show OEGB tend to be much smaller than hatchery stock from my experiences.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't believe there's anything such as bantam Campines, is there? It's just that they are on the smaller end of large fowl sizes.

I got 6 straight-run Golden Campine chicks last spring, of which wouldntcha know 5 turned out to be boys. One had a conspicuously large comb by 3 wks and started crowing shortly thereafter; they were all fast-maturing. They were also all completely insane, if you ask me [​IMG] -- always running around, sparring with each other, panicking across the pen for no visible reason whatsoever, "the sky is falling! the sky is falling!".

I have kept the (equally whackadoodle) hen, because she is beautiful and a pretty decent layer (medium to occasionally large eggs), but sold all the boys.

Someone who *likes* highly caffeinated type poultry would doubtless get along well with them, but they were just too crazy for me, I'll stick with sexlinks and sussexes and suchlike [​IMG]

Pat

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yeah, Pat, I have a sneaky suspicion that someone at the hatchery tossed some LF chicks in the banty boxes. These campine chicks are really big compared to the others (if they are actually campines).
    So far they seem somewhat braver than the others, or perhaps more greedy. They have started coming up to my yogurt/feed encrusted finger and pecking the bits off and have quit acting like I'm trying to kill them.

We'll see how they do as they age. I already have a "sky is falling" polish and silver sebright. That's enough craziness for my house!

Thanks for the OEGB info too. I am quite smitten with them so I'm hoping they turn out to be sweeties (and girls!).

Thanks for the help everyone!

8. bearpaw

bearpaw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Hi,
    I have silver campines and they are extreme skiddish birds.
    They don't seem to be mean birds. They have olive green legs except for two of them have slate or leaden blue legs. Yes I have one that started to crow at 4 weeks. To my knowledge there are no banties in campine. They are already small birds weighing about 5 lbs. I have ten myself.
    Bearpaw

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  9. ElbowLakeRoos

ElbowLakeRoos Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    So i was wondering what it means when it's says Campines do not deal with confinement well. How do they act that's not good? I have a large run but what is too confined for Campines? Do they only mean complete confinement in only a coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by