1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tell me about your chickens!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by willowbranchfarm, Oct 4, 2011.

1. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I would love to here your stories. I'm new to chickens and I wanted to here your what you had to say about them.[​IMG]

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    they eat every thing [​IMG] ! like bugs, poop , and even chicken! my gals love meat! they ARE modern day Dinos! [​IMG]

3. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Does any one have a story to share? LOL

4. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Thanks I think that eating there own poop is nasty.LOL

5. Q9

Q9 General Headache

They apparently never learn that fingers are not food.

'Nuff said.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i dont own any right now. The only ones i got are frozen

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    My sweet Rosie is my main gal. Here are a few pictures of her, she loves to be scratched on her neck, and then she stretches out her neck and falls asleep. Btw My precious Rosie might actually be a Roscoe, but I will still love my chicken just the same, Rosie is a Rhode Island Red, (production quality) I hatched her from my own Production Reds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, let's see.

Carl is my dominant rooster of a rather large flock of all kinds of chickens of all ages: bantam breeds, standard breeds, and some ducks and a pair of geese. (He doesn't rule the ducks or geese, though.). He will be two years old later this month.

His favorite hen is Rebecca. She's so special she can say "no" to his romantic advances and he will just mount another hen. But he dust bathes with her, she roosts next to him at night, and he adores her. Rebecca is currently in a full-blown molt and looks just awful. Carl doesn't care - he treats her so gently and saves the best treats for her.

Molly mumbles to herself all the tome. She follows me around to tell me all the flock gossip. If only I could understand what she's saying!

Little Bit has been raising four chicks she hatched, but just started letting them wander off by themselves and she's laying again. Every night, she still let's them try to snuggle u derneath her. They're too big for that, so she ends up with them tussling over who gets to snuggle under her wings. They are nearly hersizenow: she's a bantam and I think the egg daddies were standard sized chickens.

Paprika sneaks into the house any chance she can get. She's laid her egg on the carpeted base of the cat "tree" twice now.

Hitchcock has decided he must roost/sleep on the porch railing every night, instead of inside the coop. The two Salmon Faverolle pullets, Amy and Amelia, adore him, and during the day will groom his fluffy cheek and beard feathers.

Jane likes to perch in the trees during the day, for her afternoon naps. Clara is her BFF and will fly up there to nap next to her.

Brenda believes her eggs are the very best, better and more important than anybody else's, so she sings The EggSong more loudly and much longer than any other hen. She's a hussy, though, and will let any of the eleven roosters mount her.

Red doesn't come out of the coop very often. When she does, I like to congratulate her for her braveness. (The flock move was stressful for her, as she already suffered through a four hour car trip to come join the flock. Moving the whole flock, them for the first time, her for the second, really upset her. She used to be one of two hens,then a single hen, and now she's living with fifty other chickens and some of them are roosters. Then there are the cheeky ducks and bossy geese!)

Buffy is broody for the third time. She has hatched chicks and is a grandmother, as her first hatchling is all grown up, laying eggs Buffy
    will set. Buffy will set on any eggs other hens lay in her nest when she's up for her eat/drink/poop break.

That's some of the daily happenings in my flock.

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Lol, when I started talking about my awesome House chicken Rosie, I decided to get her from my room and chill with her for a bit, for the main part of the time I have Been on here, she was sitting in my lap, well, she thought that wasn't comfy enough, so she crawls up my stomach and gets on my shoulder. She cuddled up next to my neck, and under my long shaggy hair, Just where she likes it.

10. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by