Tell me about *YOUR* experience with a bird that survived Mareks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChooksChick, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have, for the first time, encountered this. It's classic.

I'd like to know what any of you actually did that may have contributed to a bird you own(ed) surviving. I've read all sorts of stuff over the years, and I'm specifically wondering about info anyone can share that was a personal experience.

Thanks!

2. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Let me elaborate: this is a bird who is about 8 weeks old whom I don't want to cull- I've no objection to culling most of the time (though it hurts my soul and makes me sob) but for various reasons, this bird is important to me. She's got the classic one leg forward, one back posture if on a slippery surface, and is eating and drinking well. I'm really looking for a miracle. Got one for me?

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay are you positive this is Mareks? Does she have that grey eye look? There are some mimicking problems including severe vitamin difficiences.

Here's a posting from early in BYC regarding a "cure".....
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=135247&p=1
    Wish you the best of luck..Haven't experienced so I really cannot give you a witness but maybe this other poster can give you more details. Best of wishes and have a blessed one. Nancy

4. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    She doesn't have the eye symptoms. I've been supplementing with the homeopathic hypericum serum, massive doses of Vits B & E, and prayer. I'm bummed.

Thanks for answering! I was hoping for a magic wand, but really, I know the truth. I just don't like it.

5. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I'm so sorry.. I have no idea how to help, but I wish you luck! [​IMG]

6. trinacliff

trinacliff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Did you end up culling? So sorry you are/were going through this. Where did you find hypericum? All I can find is St. Johns Wort. Did anything you did seem to help??

Take care,

Kristen

7. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Nothing helped my little girl and in the end I don't think it was Marek's. I'm not sure of the cause, but we had to put her down, and it was better for her that way.

Really lousy, but she's in Chicken Heaven, where the walls crawl with bugs and the streets corn-cob-lestone!!

ETA: Yes, we have an excellent natural foods store and the Hypericum could be had in many different brands- it didn't seem to make any difference ove the course of a whole week- she got progressively worse.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by