tell me about your first pet

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KristyHall, Jun 14, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I fondly remember my first pet, a golden retriever dog named Jake. He was a wonderful animal who was often my partner in crime.

With his help my mother could never keep our favorite treat, marshmallows, away form us. if I couldn't reach it he would get on his hind legs and get the bag for me. if she put it in the top cabinet, I would climb on his back and climb onto the counter to get it. (I was a devil at two)

my mother found us many times by an empty bag of marshmallows and both looking sick from our feast.

what was your first pet? Do you have any fun stories about it?

2. WickedNerd

WickedNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    North Alabama
    My first official pet (meaning it wasn't intended to be a family pet, just mine) was a sheltie named Ginger. My parents got her for me for my birthday and it was obvious from the start that I was her girl and she was my dog. Mom and my little brother went to pick her up from the local animal shelter while I was at school and had been sitting on the couch with Ginger sitting between them when I came home. I took one look at her and dropped my backpack and fell to my knees and she leapt off the couch and ran down the hall too me, licking me all over my face. [​IMG] It was something out of a movie.

We were inseparable. She slept on the rug by my bed. We played basketball and soccer together. Long walks with my friends and their dogs. Growing up on a military base, you don't have the benefit of having local playmates that stick around very long. They often move within a year or so. Ginger was my best friend for a long time, even if she did give away my hiding place when I played hide-and-seek with the other kids.

3. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Mine was a long haired tabby cat called wally, he was real mean, he hated me, i was always covered in scratches and bites from where i'd try to stroke him (i was only 2 yrs old at the time!) I have photographs of me wearing nothing but a jumper and my mums wellington boots following him around the garden, we had him till he died at the age of 12 from some unknown illness. I loved that cat, even though he was evil!

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My first pet was a turtle. I got him when I was ten and she was a little bigger than a quarter. I spent a lot of time with her and she lived to 9 years old(might still be around). She was so tame that she would eat out of my hand and let me pick her up without going into her shell. She would even walk with me around the yard. She dissappeared when I moved, I think one of the neighbor's kids stole her.

5. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    My very first pets were chickens, believe it or not. I had a big white chicken that had some chicks...unfortunately I think a dog got to her. But I guess my first pet that I remember more of was a mutt dog I named "Blackie" (not very creative since she was mostly black with a white spot on her chest). I decided to give her back to our family friend (from whom I got Blackie as a puppy) because Blackie's mother passed away. Our family friend still has Blackie 13 years later and now I have a dog from one of Blackie's litters named Lucy. She's a naughty dog that likes to salivate and stare at my chickens. Well I miss Blackie but at least I can still go see her when I want.

6. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

My first pet was a goldfish. Poor thing.

7. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My first pet was a cat. My parents were driving along our country road in Maine one day and saw a "free kittens" sign in someone's yard. They picked one out to surprise me. This was a very rare and odd thing they did. They brought her home and put her in the yard and had me come out and find her. Of course I was thrilled. She was gray and white. My mother, for some controlling reason [​IMG] insisted we name her "Scruffy". She wasn't scruffy, so not sure why she insisted on this, maybe SHE always wanted a cat named Scruffy, who knows. I was then told that Scruffy wouldn't be allowed in the house because my brother had asthma. So poor Scruffy lived out her MANY years as an outdoor kitty, although I did manage to sneak her into my room a few times. These were also the days when it didn't even dawn on my parents to get her FIXED, so Scruffy ended up mothering several litters, which we kept and I fed and played with dutifully. She ended up being called "Mama Kitty". I don't remember how old she lived to be, but I had her throughout my entire childhood and into my teens. When I moved out of my house as a teen, I took one of her kittens, named Spot with me. I had Spotty for 16 years. Spotty came with me through MANY moves around the east coast. She was truly my best friend. There's actually an emotional story about Spotty, but I'm not sure I can tell it right now. I'm at work and don't want to get emotional. Maybe later I'll add it.

8. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:why was it poor? Did you try to slip it under a hen? you can't hatch fish you know!

9. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:why was it poor? Did you try to slip it under a hen? you can't hatch fish you know!

No, I think I accidentally killed it by washing his bowl with soap. And I fed him WAY too much. In fact, I think I had "new" goldfish monthly.

10. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama

No, I think I accidentally killed it by washing his bowl with soap. And I fed him WAY too much. In fact, I think I had "new" goldfish monthly.

oh dear. i shouldn't laugh but that is strangely, cute and funny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by