Tell me about your "free-loaders"

The Cave

Songster
Oct 18, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I hope I am posting this in the correct forum but I want to see how old and what breeds your "free-loaders" are that you've had since chicks.
I have:
2 silkies: 7.5 months old
2 EE: 4.5 months old
5 barred rocks: 3 months old
We aren't going to talk about the younger silkies because they are so far away from laying based on my older girls.

I know they are still "young" but feels like its taking forever! Barred rocks I heard 4-5 months, Silkies 8-12 months? and EE I have no idea anyone know about those?

I thought you meant the other end of the spectrum when I read the title. I thought you meant ones that have stopped or slowed way down who are older hens. I have a couple wyandottes that either aren’t laying or have a hidden nest somewhere. Yours may be waiting closer to spring.

Yes, I figured people might I guess we could always include them too! I don't have any yet!

My barred rock started laying around 24 weeks (I had her since she was a few days old). My Asian black around 25 weeks and my 2 white leghorns between 23-24 weeks. (All within the last 3 weeks). It’s January in Arkansas, so our weather isn’t super cold like northeastern states but we’ve had some nights dropped into the 20s.

Back
Top Bottom