1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tell me about your polish!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gritsar, Sep 13, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've read so many threads where folks are having a problem with their polish being picked on.

I have two polish, a pullet and a cockerel, both 5 months old.

The male is an awkward teenager, always getting beat up by my older hens when he attempts to wing dance or mate them, but no one is picking on him for just being him.

My pullet is a sweetheart, to me. She's a hellion to the other teenage chickens that are the same age as she is. Pearl has lots of eccentric habits, like flying up and riding on my shoulder whenever she sees me and insisting on sleeping on top of a running fan. Pearl is not picked on at all. She has a very assertive personality.

Tell me about your polish.

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I use Pledge

No, seriously, I have one roo, Bowie who is a big baby, but hides his intelligence very well

3. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    I have a 11 week old golden polish roo. He is about the dumbest bird I have ever had...... or maybe he just cant see...

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

We rescued a Splash Polish hen earlier this year. We think she's a year old. She's second in command of a flock of 9 hens. No one picks on her and she gets on great with the younger members of the flock. She's full of personality, she's affectionate towards us and simply a joy. We gave her her first hair cut this morning. I feel bad for the Polish birds whom people deem "stupid" or who get picked on. We're happy to say neither applies to our one Polish hen, Orchid.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That. While I have never had to trim the Ozzy's crest - his grows out just perfect, so he can see - we do trim Pearl's crest regularly; otherwise she runs into things.

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I LOVE my polish...

we had Kazooee... and we got to the coop a few seconds to late and we watched a coon drag him up a tree. [​IMG]

and now we have Shanequa... (dont ask my friend named her and it stuck) and she is funny she is one of a few hens that will walk over to be picked up

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've got handfulls of Polish of nearly all colors, and, they're the last birds to be picked on! [​IMG]

They're very friendly but also very tough birds (always winners of a quarrel, always chasing cats) I once even lost a couple to the forest in a harsh, windy storm and got them back alive 2 weeks later. My boys are very friendly, very quirky characters, the girls are good, dependable layers except in the winter, and they're simply a favorite on the farm.

Mine aren't dumb, skittish, mean, or weak like some others. And half of them do have full sized, "show" worthy crests, and they still get around great. The other half I clip the front of the crests of, but only because it rains a LOT here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by