Tell Me About Your Rare Breed!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lazypifarm, Dec 31, 2012.

1. lazypifarm

lazypifarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Hello all! My family moved to a small farm several months ago. We're gearing up to build a barn this year, complete with pens for several different breeds of chickens! I am hoping to acquire show quality stock for breeds that are under-represented, that greatly deserve a bigger population, and that are unavailable in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas.) So far the Isbars (especially the blues) and Russian Orloffs are my favorites, but I would love to hear about other breeds that are worthy of attention!

I am hoping to stick to good layers - they don't have to be as prolific as, say, a barred rock, but I do want a few eggs a week. They have to be able to handle being confined (I'm not letting a mega rare, expensive hen go romping around the pasture), be reasonably docile and do well with heat. (There is only so much one can do for the heat in Texas.)

I am most interested in birds with a distinctive look. I have passed by buckeyes and buttercups because they bear too much resemblance to other, much more common breeds.

SO! Tell me about your favorite beautiful rare breed!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    i got silver polish but I'm selling them because they don't lay worth a penny and I'm getting amaracanas how ever you spell that i believe I'm getting a pair of show quality amaracanas that are jet black so I'm gonna hatch there chicks and show them and the rooster which sound like he is very nice i live in Canada so getting rare breeds for me is somewhat hard cause we have no good hatcheries here like you guys in the states who have good hatcheries i tried buying from a hatchery then i realized that it was just over the border and i would half to go across the border to get my chicks so i didn't order but the only thing we have in Ontario thats close to me is the fur and feather show in mount forest there you can find rare breeds its 2 times a year

3. lazypifarm

Dec 5, 2011
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Ooo, i just had Friesian chickens suggested to me! Gonna have to get some of those, just for their heritage - my German ancestors were from East Friesia! Of course, I'd have to get Friesian sheep and Friesian horses to go with them. ;)

4. Peppy Peep

Peppy Peep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! I am a loving chicken owner ( even if things don't go as planned) But I saw your post and wanted to tell about some of the breeds that I have had experience with that are not the most common backyard chickens. During my three years in 4-H we have gotten project birds and we tryed to make them breeds that weren't very available or common. One of the breeds we all settled on was Black Jersey Giants. The breeder had a hard time getting enough chicks so we also got Buff Chanteclers ( they are also a ver endangered breed but are for very cold climates and were developed in Canada). The whole batch was strait run and I ended up with three roosters out of four. Both Chanteclers were cockerels and then I had one cockerel and pullet Jersey Giants. Well just this summer I had to sell both Chanteclersbecause I had to many roosters but I still have my Black Jersey Giant cock and hen. If you would like to know more about the breed go to: http://nationaljerseygiantclub.com/index.cfm/pageid/12
    When you first look at a Black Jersey Giant it may look like just another bird but with roosters weighing in at 12lbs.and standing at almost two feet tall they are amazing birds to look at. I have gotten many comments on how beautiful they are. My rooster is a very docile bird and not very exspensive to get but are slightly exspensive to keep due to the feed bill. Well I hope this helps and you find many endangered breeds to keep and raise! [​IMG] Happy chicken keeping and a happy new year!!

5. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    well when ever i go to the action i see both breeds there i live in canada and i didn't know the one breed you talked about was made here but i see black jersey giants all the time when i go to actions

6. hendrixcoop

hendrixcoop Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    Central South Carolina
    Definitely investigate Barnevelders, you will not be disappointed

7. lazypifarm

Dec 5, 2011
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Ooo, those ARE nice! I will have to put them on the list. * scribbles *

8. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Naked necks are my favorite

9. Phoenix Farms

Phoenix Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Not sure if Phoenixs are considered exactly rare. Some chicken sites say they are. But look into them if you like the long tails. They lay fairly well. Though their eggs are small. I get about 3-4 a week from one hen. Both genders are docile if you handle them young and if you keep them in the right conditions the rooster tail feathers will be gorgeous.

10. greygoose

greygoose Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    I am looking into Crevecoeurs and Sultans!!!! I also so much would like to have the blue Isbars and some Swedish Flower Hens!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by