Tell me about your SILKIES and EEs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by peep-a-boo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. peep-a-boo

peep-a-boo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I've read about these 2 breeds here on BYC, but wanted to know from those of you who actually own them what their temperaments are like. Also, how many eggs/wk do they produce? I don't know what counts for high, medium, or low. I plan on having only 3-4 birds. Do you think the 2 different breeds will do well together? Originally, I was looking for a pet for my high-functioning autistic son, but might as well have some good egg-layers too.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Eggers do vary, really. My first and only hatchery based one started out exceedingly skittish, then when she started to lay eggs she went to become a very mellow, laid back hen. But, she hardly lays any eggs at all, and I got the poor luck of one who lays light brown eggs.

My "homemade" Easter Eggers are another story though, but they don't count, as their breeding is very different from hatcheries.

In most cases Easter Eggers are a very good pick though! I just recommend to not get them from Murray McMurray.

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    My silkies have very good, mild and loving personalities... But they only lay an egg about every other day. They do that for 2 to 3 weeks, then go broody. Which means they wont lay anymore until either something hatches or they decide to go un-broody. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by