Tell Me About Your Silkies Egg Laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Laurajean, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My Silkies have just started laying their first eggs. I have 4 Silkies (plus a Mille Fleur D'Uccle & a Cochin, all Bantams). So far I've gotten one egg every day, and today I got FOUR! I was under the impression that they weren't very prolific layers, but I think that 13 eggs in 9 days seems pretty good! I don't know how many of them are laying, and even if it's the Silkies that are laying, but I'm just curious if this seems like a typical amount of eggs? Will they increase? Will their production decrease with winter or stay the same?

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Im not sure mine havent laid yet, but im thrilled to hear you have gotten that many in a week! Whereabouts are you in Southern Nh? Im in Amherst!!!

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Only one of my silkies is laying and she lays about 4 eggs a week.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    The average silkie hen lays about 100 eggs per year.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I sent you a PM. [​IMG]

6. LastChanceChickenDance

LastChanceChickenDance Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    We have 7 Silkie hens that are just 6 months old and are all laying. The first one laid at 22 weeks. The rest by 25 weeks. They laid for about 3 weeks—an egg almost every day and then went broody. I think the reason Silkies are considered "poor layers" is because they lay a clutch and then go broody. So if you look at their annual egg laying, it's not so good. But when they ARE laying, ours lay up a storm!

We have 4 little broody girls now. We throw them off the nest and they squawk and fuss, eat a bit and get right back on! While off the nest they walk around bobbing their heads with their wings spread out making growly noises. They are also quite grouchy and peck at the other chickens. Hope they get over it soon! Giving them eggs to hatch is not an option for us.

7. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    It's almost winter here. they only seem to lay when I let them out if its nice

8. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    We have 14 Silkie Hens and up to now they have been laying 8 to 10 eggs daily. Now two of them are broody and are in the nest boxes all the time.

I just keep taking them out. Take eggs (less now) and back in they go. We are building more nexting boxes. Perhaps others want to get into the nest boxes???? Aria

9. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    I wasn't aware that silkies laid eggs:D Mine just like to lay around looking pretty! Seriously, my buffs are a year old this month and one just started laying, the other is still just looking pretty! I think they are too spoiled and don't realize they are chickens!

10. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    We have two spring silkies and they each lay about 4-5 a week. One keeps this up until she lays 12 or so and then she's broody for two weeks, doesn't lay for another 2 weeks and then we get another 12 eggs and so repeat the process. Two weeks of laying for every 4 weeks of broody busting. The other has just started and so far good laying and no broody.[​IMG] I can't wait until spring when they can hatch eggs and get over it!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by