Tell me about your sweet roosters, please

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by willkatdawson, Feb 27, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I am looking for a really sweet rooster for my 7 hens. If you have a roo that is kind to your hens and loves your family tell me about him. I am wondering what breed is considered the sweetest.

2. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    My daughter's silkie was the sweetest guy. He would let them hold him on his back like a baby. Out leghorn bantam was a nice boy too. He was handled and held since he was a chick. I don't know if that was typical for a leghorn but it is typical for a silkie.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    My cochins are by far the most loving of all my birds. They will run up to me and want me to hold them if I squat down for them. They always talk and purr to me and do the little rooster dance [​IMG] They are not bad on the hens either. They will prepare the nest for them and call the hen in to it. They also will take treats from me, lay them down for the hen and then talk to her to coax her to eat it. They are quite gentlemanly! [​IMG]

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love my White Leghorn boy Kernal. He's such a sweet boy he will follow me around the backyard and even around the house. Most night he's upstairs sitting on my lap as I type here on BYC. He does not like my father however, he will challenge my father outback. In the house though he is very nice to have. He makes purring noises when he sleeps on my lap. He loves to be cuddled as shown:
    [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have a bantam barred cochin. He is the sweetest. He will stay right by your side. I used to have a very nasty rooster, and the cochin would stay right by my side, and if the other roo tried to spur me, he would attack him and chase him away.

Here is a picture of him

[​IMG]

My LF light brahmas are also very nice roosters. They are calm.

6. mjane

mjane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    My jerseyboy, black jersey giant is the sweetest rooster by far I have ever had. He sees you coming in the coop and has a funny cooing noise til you pick him up. He likes to cuddle his neck in your arms. I just love him! Most jerseys are very docile and the roos tend to really watch over their hens, they make awesome pet chickens for kids too.

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm afraid to say anything about my roo because he's not quite mature and I've heard some real bad horror stories about EE roos going crazy and attacking. So far he's a sweetie but that's all I'm sayin'. [​IMG]

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Speckledhen has had a few wonderful Roos. I'm sure she can give you lots of insight

9. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I have a bantam auracana rooster that is a sweetheart. I don't cuddle him or anything and he doesn't like being picked up, but he is fine with being handled and examined. I should mention that I did not raise him, but bought him from someone that showed these birds. Possibly good early training had something to do with it but I realy don't know. Probably a suitable disposition was part of her selection process. Anyone who raises birds has lots of choices as to which cockerals to grow out.

He is also just plain nice to his girls. One hen in particular came quite pecked and fearful (but rumpless and nicely tufted). She seems to have settled in and relaxed. I saw him mount her yesterday and she was fine with it. She used to run and scream if he came near. They spend a lot of time doing the bird regurgitating feeding each other thing, and grooming their feathers while standing side by side thing a lot. The eggs seem fertile and the group seems happy.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  10. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    I've heard Faverolles roosters are docile and sweet. So much so that they are useless guarding the flock from predators. I'm sure that's not true in every case. Faverolles do tend to be docile and from what I know even the roosters can get picked on by other roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by