Tell me about your Wyndottes!!!

chilisweet

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Vancouver, WA
We are about to order a gaggle of wyndotte chicks and I want to make sure they are really what we want. We do like them for their coloring, mostly, but we need birds that are mellow and good with cold temps.

Can you tell me what you like about your girls? What are their faults (noisy, strange, don't like to be held)?

Thanks so much!

We are off to the fair to spend an hour looking at chickens....lol

~Caran & Craig

I only have one silver laced girl and I think she is wonderful. She was stand-offish as a chick but once she reached laying age about 3 weeks ago, she became more friendly. I can pick her up and hold her now and she won't struggle. She settles right down and talks to me while I rub her neck. She's a little bit noisy though, she's more of a talker then the rest of them and at a higher volume. She always sounds annoyed, but she's actually very happy. I would certainly recommend the breed. I would love to have more of them.

I have a bunch of "teenage" Gold-Laced chicks, with a Silver-Laced roo (hatchery mistake - He was supposed to be a GLW).

They're beautiful so far, and healthy. They have a reputation for being relatively gentle, and great egg layers, especially during cold weather (which I need).

Here's a pic of some of mine up close at 5 weeks:
10056_chicks-5weeks-2008jul28__6.jpg

I have one adult GLW and 4 baby BLRW. My Big girl is really a doll. Not quite as snuggly as I prefer my chickens but she will squat every time I come near and never fights to get down. She has such an endearing personality though. She talks a LOT, but not loud. She is also the interior decorator of the coop. Always re-arranging things, cleaning out nest boxes, making sure all the other hens are laying where they should....a bit bossy actually. I love watching her.
smile.png
The babies are just little dream chickies. The sweetest, friendliest, most precious chicks I have ever had. And, of course, as you already know, wyandottes are gorgeous chickens. Oh, Burgandy's (my big girl) eggs are the smallest of all my hens though. Not small...more on the large end of medium.

Last edited:
I have a BLRW and a RLBW and they are sweet, vocal, and friendly. They haven't starting laying yet, but they are some of my nicest chickens. They are also very beautiful.
smile.png

My silver-laced pullets are more standoffish than the uber-friendly buff Orps and Delawares. Less skittish than the EE's. Haven't decided whether I like them yet. We'll see when laying time comes. Also, they have very little silver lacing at 4 1/2 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom