tell me all about buffs

bagendhens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Outside the Boundries
i was going to get multiple geese anyway as i know they go better with other geese for company and was going to go with a straight run tufted roman and a buff...
however after reading how there considred "critical" im considering just getting a pair of buffs.
i love what ive read online about their personalities but id like to know from those who have and have had them, especially what there like during the breeding season.
i know all geese are testy during the breeding season, but im trying to avoid a typically agressive breed (hence avoidance of chinese and embedens even though dad likes white geese lol)

so let me have it
smile.png

im planning on giving them a shelter with a small fenced run attatched for overnights, they will free range during the day (we only realy have hawks to worry about during the day and the chickens will be in the run when were not there to supervise but i belive the geese will be too big for our red tails).
they will get lots of people time as we want them to be as friendly as possible to us.

I have a pair of American Buffs. They will be two in mid-May. I chose the breed due to their reputation of being calm and not as aggressive during the breeding season. I also like suppoerting a breed that originated in the US.

That said, I love my geese. I am still considered the head goose and I have no problem with aggression during the breeding season. In fact, my gander is still trying to convince me I need to be his 2nd girlfriend. I much rather deal with an amorous gander instead of an aggressive one.

They call out to greet me when I step out the back door. They hollar to let me know a stranger (or stange animal) has entered into their eyesight. Right now, the gander is aggressive towards my husband since we're still in breeding season. But maybe he sees him as the competeing male for my affection.
lol.png
And, he hates the dog so they remain seperated by the fence at all times. The only time the goose has been grumpy towards me was when she was sitting on the nest last spring. She'd yell at me if I came too close, but nothing more than that.

Overall, I have been very pleased with my choice. If I didn't live in a suburban area, I would have had more by now. If I ever get to move out of town and into the country, I will get more.

I have a pair of American Lavenders (a color variation of buff) that will be a year old June 7. They are just finishing up their first breeding season, and compared to my previous flock (eleven of them) of Toulouse, they are milder and less aggressive. Still, the gander got testy with me for a month or so, and now that the female is about done laying, she gets grump when I go anywhere near her nest (meaning, the entire back yard
big_smile.png
). She honks and makes desultory attempts and biting my legs but it's more bluff than bite.

Supposedly, the buffs and Pilgrims have the mildest temperaments BUT geese are individuals first. Between my current "flock" of two and my previous flock of eleven, the fewer the geese, the more human friendly they have been.

My buffs are wonderful, they hiss sometimes during breeding season, but they are just bluffing and if I hiss back, they turn tail and run. My blue & Lav ganders are a little more serious, but only during breeding season and they are just protecting their girls. I love all my geese, adore how they talk to me, follow me around, have so much personality and spunk!

I love my Buffs and also the two older gals, the Embden and the Toulouse. I agree w/what's been said, my Buff ganders (2) have just resorted to hissing during breeding (now). I just put on my shocked voice and ask: "OH! Swearing at the MaMa?!?" They alter their hiss to talking to me immediately;) Noisy during breeding and it worries the neighbors w/all the commotion so I put mine in the middle of the yard instead of the end for awhile til it quiets down again. My neighbors, adults and kids love mine:)
Summer set up:
6333_picture_049.jpg

Spring set up:
6333_410_015.jpg

Snowflake telling me about the boys falling in love w/her and Grayzie
6333_410_014.jpg

Grazie (Toulouse) and Snowflake (Embden) are both ten yrs old, I've had them three years and they haven't ever hissed or acted aggressive toward me except when I first replaced their month old rotten infertile eggs and put the American Buff goslings in their nest;) But never since then.
6333_picture_002.jpg

oh my goodness they are beautiful!
thank you for the input guys, i think im going to go ahead and order a pair from purely once the chickens are out of the house and in their coop.

I believe Metzer farms purchased a good deal of adult stock from Holderread once they announced they were going to stop breeding the Buff Americans. They might be a god source of goslings.

Back
Top Bottom