Tell me all about Salmon Favorelles!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gabbyscritters, Nov 29, 2009.

1. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    Our daughter has fallen in love with bantam Salmon Favorells. She loves their beards and muffs and from what we have read they sound very sweet. Her bantam Cochins are real sweeties and come running when she gets home from school. Tell me all about why Favorelles are so nice or not so nice for a young chicken lover.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They are adorable, dual purpose (meat and eggs), friendly and gentle. While I don't have them, if I even get chickens it will be this breed.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Faverolles are at the top of my favorite breed list. They are packed with personality, beautiful to look at and wonderful layers in all seasons. My rooster is the nicest chicken in my yard. The hens are laid back as well and they accept newcomers with ease. If one is looking for showy gentle chickens this is the breed to have.

This breed is on the Livestock Conservancy's endangered list. They are a plump dual purpose birds in Large Fowl and the bantams are not tiny but a nice size. Faverolles are fun to watch and they seem to like to play. My girls have never been enthused about being held but they tolerate it, they like chin scratches. The Roosters are without a doubt the best little birds I have owned. My original boy is not longer with me but he still stands alone as my favorite chicken. Hens are not obsessivly broody like the Cochin and Silkie.

4. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I was lucky enough to have a little Bantam Salmon Favorelle rooster until I lost him to a predator - And I can say that out of around 20 different kinds of roosters together, all different kinds including standards, this little guy was outstanding! He was sooo sweet, he would stand on my shoulder like a parrot, always greeted me and followed me around the pet area the entire time I was with them, he "helped" with my chores, and stayed in the coop by himself waiting for me to come back. I always knew where to find him. And the Bantam Salmon Favorelle is by far one of the prettiest breeds! I have a Standard Favorelle mix rooster that is very pretty, just because of the Favorelle part! I have had Standard Favorelles and they also have a great disposition. I believe the Bantam Favorelle are a great breed for both beauty and personality.

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i kind of wish i kept my little Charlie the cockerel. he had such a sweet disposition and was a little joker to me. used to crow in the morning just to get me to give him and the girls treats. once they were gone he would start in again. (he was too loud for my neighbors)

the 3 girls i have in my coop, 1 is a mahogany and is Charlie's sister, the other 2 are the traditional salmon color i got from another BYCer. i've been keeping one of the girls in the house because she was getting badly picked on by someone and i just couldn't get them to accept her back. she's a wonderful house pet. gives me an egg every other day so far and lets me pick her up to cuddle.

the other 2 come running up to me and just look up and stare, waiting for treats and a praise if they left eggs. Chloe the mahogany loves the neck scratches but both don't seem to care much for being picked up much.

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have a new beautiful little flock of Bantam Salmon and Blue Salmon Faverolles. THESE ARE HANDS DOWN MY FAVORITES!!!!! They are not just cute but the cockeral are very handsome and beautiful. They so far have been very good winter layers they are in a tractor with no supplemental light and I am getting one or two eggs a day from 3 laying age hens. They are very sweet and don't mind being picked up and cuddled if thats what your interested in. I also had two LF faverolle hens in my original laying flock they were the most consistent layers and were fantastic sweet girls. I really love this breed they are fantastic I 100% recommend them.

Henry

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
  8. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    Gabby is so glad to hear all the good reports on Favorelles, especially the roosters being sweet. She is almost 9 and very good with her birds but she is also small for her age and she is easily taken advatage of and bullied by roosters. She loves her two Cochin boys and they are very good to her/ The Favorelle temperment was what attracted her to the breed and thier pretty looks. She cant's wait to get some chicks, I am trying to get her to wait until ealy spring.

9. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    actually, my bantam cochin cockerel is very taken with my mahogany fav Chloe. i'm hoping to try and hatch a few of her eggs along with Kiva my salmon fav to see if i can pull the color and lacing into the cochin line. (i'm just in LOVE with the feather footed breeds!)

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We have 2 LF salmon faverolle hens and one roo (also LF). Originally, we had 2 roos, but one had a severe crooked beak and needed to be culled. Both roos were really sweet and the one we got to keep is a doll. He is not the top roo (our JG roo is alpha roo), but he still does his best to call over the ladies and give them treats. [​IMG] He has never been aggressive either. All of the faverolles have fun. quirly personalities. They are completely nuts. The girls will be walking in one direction, all of a sudden change directions and run...then, stop, walk a few and start pecking at the ground again. [​IMG] They are VERY talkative. Not sure if it is just our hens, or common with the breed, but they talk all the time. The roo isn't any louder than the JG roo, but the hens just walk around squawking about everything. Their names are Peaches and Sweet Pea, but we are threatening to changing the to Noisy and Yappy. [​IMG] We love our SFs! [​IMG]

ETA: Oh, and they are great layers! It is the end of Nov and they are definitely proving to be great winter layers.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by