tell me all about your silkies please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I have 15 silkies coming next week.
    I would love to hear all about yours and see photo's.
    Can they live ok with Rhode Island reds?
    Thanks

2. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    I would post pics but it's a pain on my phone. I have two Wilkie but I got them as pullets. They are with some ee and wynadottes and my one silkie rules the flock! They are both very sweet and friendly and curious. I would have more silkies but they go broody very often and I don't even have a rooster! But they are awesome reliable layers for me. Have fun with yours!

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Is there a problem when they go broody?

4. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    try here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3642412

should give a few days worth in reading [​IMG] everyone LOVES their silkies!
    as far as with RIR I would be careful, all my red chickens have a tendency to peck anything unusual, feather feet, beards and top hats all tend to attract them, so my EE's have no beards, my brahmas have no feathers on their fee and I had to separate the polish b/c they where always bald! I would just watch them to be sure.

5. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    they say I have A.D.D. but they don't understand.....OH look!! a chicken!! D

haha, I love your siggie.
    Thanks for the link. Great stuff!!​

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Silkies are aliens from outer space. They've come to infect you with cuteness and brainwash you into doing their bidding. Watch and see, you'll find them so adorable you'll get more, and then they'll have you right where they want you. Be afraid, be very afraid [​IMG]

7. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Silkies are like little puppy dogs with way to much fur..uh feathers [​IMG] I ADORE mine, they are so CUTE!!!![​IMG] I have one in with Montana, my Brahama, who is injured, so Lola (my white silkie) is acting as nurse-maid and keeping her company. In the coop Montana uses the silkies as a pillow some nights so it was a good fit to bring in Lola. You will find that they are a bit different from the larger birds, mine (and many others on BYC) all sleep on the floor. You will absolutely love them!! (and if you don't, send them all to meeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) [​IMG]

Chuckie (white) and Fuzz (blue) (that is Montana in the background)
    [​IMG]

One of my new partridge girls getting a bath and blow dry [​IMG] and eating all of the watermelon seeds while she is at it... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by