1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tell me before I Email her again!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnaD, Apr 9, 2011.

1. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Well, a lady lives near me who breeds and sells Ancona. I emailed her asking if she had female. She has 5 week old females (by quack) and hatching ducklings who she is going to try to vent sex. I emailed her last Wednesday waffling about whether I wanted 5 week olds or wee little new ducklings. I am leaning toward newly hatched ducks just because I like the bonding experience, but I feel more confident in quack sexing ducklings. She told me that she would keep me posted about her hatching ducks.
    The reason I need a female is to try to amend my hen to drake ratio here in my somewhat large backyard, so I REALLY want females. Like I said, that was waaaay back Wednesday and I'm impatient to add two ducks to my flock.

Should I email her to find out how things are going?
    or Should I wait for her to email me?
    Should I really just get the 5 week olds?
    WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    [​IMG]

I really wish I was the patient type.
    I may have emailed her by the time you answer! [​IMG]

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    If bonding is important to you, get the youngest ones she has.

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ask her how friendly the new guys are. Ive had experiences where ducklings DONT bond to me but rather the dog, the other ducklins, or anything else besides me. If the 5 week olds are friendly then you've got a head start on them and their personalities are already showing up

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Really, I think it depends upon whether or not she is competent at vent sexing. If she is experienced go with the ducklings. Since you really need more hens, I would recommend the older "quacking" females.

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I'd go with the older quacking ones - they are a sure bet and you won't end up with any more drakes that you may find hard to rehome. They will become tame with time (and peas!).

7. AnaD

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Yeah, she hatched all males so she needs to keep the female teens for breeding. [​IMG]

8. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Oh no, what a shame. Are there any other options close by to you?

9. AnaD

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Not that I can find! I thought sure I'd find something on CL, but nope...I guess I'll wait until something pops up. Hopefully before my boys get amorous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by