tell me EVERYTHING about blue black splash orps please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by popcornpuppy, Sep 6, 2009.

1. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I just got some bbs orp eggs from speckledhen when I got my Del eggs.
    I know NOTHING about this breed, except that Suede the Daddy of these eggs is (don't get mad at me Cyn if I get this wrong) 16lbs. What should I be looking for when the eggs hatch as far as color of the chicks, size, spots, dots, stripes, etc? Are they the same size as other breeds when they are born? How fast or slow do they grow? What will the adult colors be? Any and all info is a help because I am clueless about this breed.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi, Kathy! There will be no stripes or spots. You can have blue (in any shade), black or splash, which looks silvery or creamy/silver when they dry off. Some are little butterballs and you think there's no way they could have come out of an egg that huge, LOL. Suede is about 14-15 lb, not sure he's as much as 16. The Orp roosters are not fully mature in size/weight till 18 mths to 2 yrs old. The chicks can be timid and a bit skittish compared to the Delawares or Barred Rocks, but they're sweet little things. Blues have slate legs, whereas Buff Orps are supposed to have white. There is no standard for splash, so I've had some with white legs and some with slate legs. I know others will chime in here. I have a thread with pics of some youngsters here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=238341

3. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I guess the "splash" is the one trait that we need more info on. What parts of the body does splash show up on? What does the splash look like? Is it penciling, ticking, lacing? [​IMG]

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    As a hatching, you usually see the splash markings on the head and back in the manner of shades,,,Here is an example for you....

This was to be a blue cochin...she is a splash. In the feeder, it you look down her back and head, you will see a light bluish tint but she is not blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The splash is like the rarity of blues and blacks. It really a neat genetic twist. The Blues carry the black gene...for example, your Suede babies could be blue, black or splash. [​IMG]

I am waiting patiently for 3 of his eggs to pip now. [​IMG]

The orpingtons are gentle giants most often...the are great layers of brown eggs and just overall a good pet and flock bird. I have two buffs that are fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  5. speckledhen

Splash is basically a pearly white chicken, sometimes with lavendery tint to it, that has accent feathers "splashed" throughout its body. Some have more, some have less. It got two copies of the blue gene rather than one, which makes it lighter than blue. I thought my bluish splash was a very light blue, but what tells me it's not blue is that the legs on this particular chick are not slate colored, the proper color for a blue Orpington. They are white. I've had splashes with white legs and some with slate.
    A blue bird is genetically black, but one copy of the blue gene turns it visually blue. Two copies turns it splash. That is why from two blues mating, you can get blue, black or splash chicks.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here's a picture of one of my splash orp pullets. I have others that have more splashs of color on them...it varies from bird to bird. I like my Orps a lot. Very docile birds that lay pretty well once they get going...which takes quite awhile. They are very slow to mature.

[​IMG]

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I've also read somewhere that they eat alot...Is this true? I'd LOVE to get some...but.worried about exactly how much is ALOT? LOL I'm keeping watch of this thread... [​IMG]

8. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Quote:Yep, they are greedy little monsters. lol Seriously, I find that they do eat alot, but I don't know if they eat any more than any other large fowl chickens. BTW, Mary, I've got a few Orp eggs for you. I'll PM you to see about getting them to you.
    Kathy, you'll absolutely love this breed! They're just gorgeous, a beautiful sight in the chicken yard.

9. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Quote:Yep, they are greedy little monsters. lol Seriously, I find that they do eat alot, but I don't know if they eat any more than any other large fowl chickens. BTW, Mary, I've got a few Orp eggs for you. I'll PM you to see about getting them to you.
    Kathy, you'll absolutely love this breed! They're just gorgeous, a beautiful sight in the chicken yard.

Oh Paula, yes please do! Now, I am really excited! LOL Ever since I saw the ones you have...I've wanted some...Not to sound greedy..but if you have other eggs available...please let me know. [​IMG] Thanks!!

10. speckledhen

I don't find that my Orpingtons eat more than any other standard breed. My Speckled Sussex hen is a voracious eater, much worse than my BBS Orps, in spite of their size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by