Tell me everything about ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chkva, May 15, 2019.

1. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Virginia
    We just ordered two Blue Indian Runner female ducklings (all the duck posts on here made me want them)... they arrive on the 24th or 31st. They will be about 2 days old. My temps outside are 80+ and at night 70+.

I need to know everything about ducklings! Tips, advice, and anything useful you can provide. Other threads and articles are always a plus!

Currently I have 7 chickens (4 are chicks still)

We just bought Flock Raiser by Purina (giving egg shells on the side in a dish). We got a big galvanized water dish just big enough not to big so they don't drown (I know they'll make a mess of it and I'll need to clean it often).

I looked at tractor supply for niacin... They had none. I know that ducks need it, so where do I buy it :confused: I know niacin is in some veggies, but I was wondering where does everyone get their Brewers yeast (I read that it supplies the niacin needed, I may be wrong)

Callender Girl likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Go to a natural food store for Nutritional yeast or if you have prime order on Amazon. Look forward to seeing your new Runners I just had two hatch today to add to my 8 Indian Runners I already have they are such a joy.

3. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Virginia
    I chose Indian Runners because I love how they stand! I have nutritional yeast right in my cupboard :lau Now I feel silly!

How much nutritional yeast should I add to their food? And is it daily?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    DuckyDonna and Callender Girl like this.
  4. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Beware of the MAN-GOOSE

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Flock Raiser has sufficient amounts of Niacin for Ducklings, you shouldn’t need to supplement.

5. MagpieDucks

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh, and eggshells are not necessary.

6. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Virginia
    I didn't see it on the vitamin list for it online... I'll have to look on the bag. The egg shells are for the laying chickens (just didn't want anyone thinking I don't supplement calcium for laying hens).

How long have you had ducks?

Callender Girl and MagpieDucks like this.
  7. MagpieDucks

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I’ve had ducks since 2016 (3 years). I’ve raised about 8 batches of ducklings on Flock Raiser, and have never seen any issues.

Callender Girl and chkva like this.
  8. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Virginia
    That's awesome to know! I ran around today buying everything I needed that I didn't already have. Only thing I didn't get was the niacin supplement because it was nowhere to be found. I can buy nutritional yeast at my grocery store and have some in my cupboard, I'll keep a spare just in case.

I don't want anything to go wrong. I've done chicks, but never ducklings. These are my first...

9. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY

Ducklings are great, as long as you don’t mind the mess. They are funny and interesting creatures to have around.

Having niacin on hand in any form is good. The yeast will be helpful. Though runners don’t tend to need it as much as say a pekin would. Most put a tablespoon sprinkle on top of their food per cup. I use liquid vitamin b complex instead because last year was my first year doing ducklings and I had three issues with niacin problems. Two quick fixed and one took me a month to work through. After that I decided to keep it on hand.

I also use Nutrena nature wise feed just because it has a high niacin amount just in case. I also try to add in as many fruits, vegetables, grass, dandelions as I can get for them. I started earlier than some, but my little ones did ok. It kills me to have a lawn full of dandelions and no ducklings to feed them too. Soon that’s going to change.

Good luck with your babies!

10. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Virginia
    I rip up dandelions roots and all and give them to my hens. Glad to know that ducks like them too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: