Tell me everything about the APA

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by k2chickens, Dec 31, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Well im looking to start breeding and sellin eggs and chicks..not to mention going to shows and showing. So, ive read i need to buy a standard?? Does this mean i need to buy the APA book? Or do i need to actually buy the right's to call my birds APA approved for each breed i have?? I have seen where you can purchase their membership's, but the website i was at didn't list much information about their apa organization. I'm guessing they have their own show's in every state across America? Can i even show if im not a APA member? Exactly what are all the benefit's of my joining the APA? Do i get like a shirt or sticker's or magazines or something like that when i join??? lol sry for all the questions, but im very eager to learn as much as i can for the up-coming 2010 season. thanks

2. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    anyone? [​IMG]

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

The APA is the governing association in the poultry world, along with the ABA. You can show without being an APA member, but you do not accumulate points, and/or certifications of master breeder/exhibitor etc. You also cannot become a poultry judge if I am not mistaken.

With all of that being said, it isn't as easy as just 'starting to sell eggs and chicks.' Perhaps you should take your own birds to a few shows and get some experience under your belt before you make that decision.

4. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:how is it "not so easy" as you put it? I'm guessing the ABA is the "american bantam association" ??

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes to the ABA abbreviation.

As to how it is "not so easy." Well, do you want to have the equivalent of a puppy mill or of a pedigreed, respected kennel? You need to understand and know your breed well; you need to know the quality of your birds, and whether or not they are suitable for breeding together and producing quality offspring. What are your plans for the offspring that don't make the grade? Why should someone purchase birds from you as compared with from a known breeder--what do your birds offer? What are your motives for breeding and selling birds?

There is no right or wrong answer to these questions, but you need to have some clear understanding of where you are coming from and the hurdles that you will face.

Most serious breeders get into it because they adore their birds--it is NOT a money-making hobby--quite the contrary. Most also start small--breeding for themselves, not for sales, until they have a fair amount of experience under their belts.

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been to the shows. I've seen the breeder's farms. It is a lot of work from what I have seen. Hatching out hundreds of chicks, just to have 2 that make "the standard".

Sounds like a labor of love to me.

7. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    it is really dificult to make any money, and the only ones who do are the breeders who are known for their birds and have been around for a while. Also good breeders stick to just a few breeds usually do they can focus their full attention on that one breed and strive for the best possible birds. Go to a shows, breed birds for yourself and see where it goes from there.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    the standard is a book that tells you what the 'perfect' bird looks like, so when breeding and culling you try to get you birds to look as close to the standard. the ABA is for bantam where the APA is for Standard and bantam but there is not as many bantams listed as in the ABA, also the closer your birds are to standard the more they are 'worth'. the point of joining is to help promote the fancy and if you show allot you earn points toward breeder statice and other things, i'm a member of both

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    also if you can get a small starter flock from a respectable breeder and have them explain the breed to you that is what i had. i just got a quad of quality bantam ameraucanas and the breeder is taking the time to school me in the breed and the practices of the breed. Im not a breeder im a beginner that is trying to learn as much as they can before they go out and call myself a breeder. i've been to shows and know what a good bird looks like but that doesnt mean i can reproduce the quality bird. ive hatched out eggs and won shows with some of my stuff but the question remains can i reproduce that and make wise decisions and get better quality birds that what i started with. That is another thing you need to do before you go out and start selling eggs be sure you hatch your own birds see what they produce get well versed in not only your breed but your own birds. know what hen just didnt do well with what rooster and what hen went really well with a certain rooster. all of this is important to know before you put yourself out there as a breeder! and as far as the APA membership its nice to have one and if you do then you collect points toward your master breeder thing or something like that.....but you can still show without a membership but that just means you dont get points

10. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    What are you planning on showing? Maybe I'lll see you out and about at shows this summer! I'm new to showing as well, but I hope it will turn into a fabulous hobby that I'm passionate about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by