Tell me everything needed to hatch seb eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tharrell, Apr 22, 2009.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I am getting 5 sebastopol eggs in the mail today, and I want to know every bit of advice anyone can give me to help with a successful hatch. I have read different contradicting things, especially when it comes to misting. In my last chicken egg hatch 0 out of about 30 eggs hatched so I'm pretty discouraged right now. I have a hovabator 1602 n. I was thinking maybe my last hatch failed because I have never cleaned out the bator, so I made sure to clean and sanitize it extremely well. It's running right now and currently it's at 102 degrees and 49% humidity. Please tell me everything!!!!

2. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Here is how iam incubating my goose eggs. I have not candles yet they are on day 9. This is my first try with goose eggs. Hopefully some one with more experience will jump in.

Temp- 99.5
    Humidity 65% until Day 25
    Humidity 85% Day 26 - Hatch

Days 1 - 4 only touch to turn three times each day.
    Days 5 - 25 remove eggs to cool for 15 minutes then mist with warm water and replace in bator. turn three times each day.
    Days 26 - Hatch mist until they pip into air cell.

3. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Anyone else? I just recieved the eggs in the mail, and when I candeled them, I saw a bubble floating in a couple. Does that mean they have a broken air cell? Do those have any chance of hatching?

4. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    [​IMG]

5. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would set them I have ad a couple that had what looked like broken air sacks and that wasnt the case, all I was acually seeing was the yolk moving around and around, it finally settled and the hatch was good.
    One thing I will say is do not rush the 26th day. I did that and killed 5 Sebbi babies, they can take up to 30 days to hatch out.
    I took them out at day 28 thinking they were done for, not the case, I was sorely heartbroken. wait till after day 30 to remove from the incubator.

6. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    I had mine at about 99.5 the entire time and then humidity about 55 to 60...then at hatching I didn't let it get above 70%...

I only hatched one, but most likely woudl have hatched the two that were there but one was facing the wrong side of the aircell..so tehre was nothing to break into...sad...

102 is way too high!

7. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    So 99.5 is the correct temp for a stil air???

8. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Oh boy,

Goose eggs (Especialy sebastopol) are extemely hard, even if your the best hatcher and have stable temp. and humidty they is still a chance they wont make it.

Here this thread helped me with sebbie eggs, I have one in the bator on day 24 due this Sunday or Monday.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=107090&p=1

I take my eggs out and set them on a carton and mist them with luke warm water and let them cool for 15 minutes.

9. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Quote:Well I was told to buy a forced air and that it was better. Its true that they are very hard to hatch especially if shipped. I tried with 9 eggs this past march and only hatched out one...would have been two but there was a problem with positioning in one egg....

The one i hathced was shipped from closer than the others which were shipped from cali...and I am va...I just didn't get any from that batch.

But they say forced air should be like 101 or 100 i think from the top of the egg...but normally all I can say is that its supposed to b eabout 99.5 for goslings....but you might have to ask someone with a still air what they do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by