Tell Me How & How Often You Worm Your Chickens

farmgirlsomeday

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
I believe that one of my Easter Eggers may have worms. She seems totally healthy, and she's laying well. However starting a few weeks ago, I've noticed that the feathers around her vent remain filthy all the time. Because she's white, this is very obvious. Here's a photo I snapped of her walking away from me so you can see what I mean.

I'm thinking that this could be the result of worms. I have never wormed my very small backyard flock, but I think I need to start. I do use ACV in their drinking water, and I sprinkle diatomaceous earth around their coop, run and nestboxes, which I keep very clean, so those items can be checked off the anti-worm list.

I'd be really grateful of others would share whether, when and how you worm your chickens. Please be as specific as you can with regard to brand names, administration routes (add to water, give in shot to chicken, etc) and how often you do the worming.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
My hen had that same problem and I found her dead this morning. I couldn't find any worms anywhere so I'm not sure what the problem was. I'm hoping you get some answers because I'd like some too. Nobody seems to be answering my post.

@PeachygirlGA I'm so sorry to hear about your hen :-( Had she shown any other signs of illness or distress besides the dirty hindquarters? My hen seems absolutely healthy and she's laying 6 eggs a week. It's just this one weird thing. I love her to pieces, so I sure hope that she's okay :-(

A dirty rear end doesnt necessarily mean a chicken has worms. Wash her butt off with warm water and dry it however you see fit, then use scissors to trim back the fluff/feathers so she can have a "clear shot" to the ground.
As far as worming goes; you can purchase either valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer to worm your birds. Use a syringe without a needle to administer. Dosage for the valbazen is 1/2cc given orally to each standard size bird, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Then redose again in 10 days. If you decide to use safeguard instead of valbazen, the administration and dosages are the same.
There is a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing with either wormer.
How often you worm your birds depends on your soil conditions. Wet or moist warm soil may require frequent wormings. Dry desertlike or rocky mountainous cold/cool soil may require less frequent wormings.

I believe that one of my Easter Eggers may have worms. She seems totally healthy, and she's laying well. However starting a few weeks ago, I've noticed that the feathers around her vent remain filthy all the time. Because she's white, this is very obvious. Here's a photo I snapped of her walking away from me so you can see what I mean.

I'm thinking that this could be the result of worms. I have never wormed my very small backyard flock, but I think I need to start. I do use ACV in their drinking water, and I sprinkle diatomaceous earth around their coop, run and nestboxes, which I keep very clean, so those items can be checked off the anti-worm list.

I'd be really grateful of others would share whether, when and how you worm your chickens. Please be as specific as you can with regard to brand names, administration routes (add to water, give in shot to chicken, etc) and how often you do the worming.

Many thanks!

Do a search on Gleet, that's what it looks like.

I've never had to worm my birds and have owned chickens for four years now. Someday they may get worms then I'd treat for it. People do treat annually and semi annually which is fine for them, I simply don't see the benefit to medicate and then not eat eggs for 24 days without cause.

Back
Top Bottom