Tell me how to rig a see thru door on my sportman

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MandyH, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I need to make a door see thru able. Can I just take the router and make a hole and glue plexiglass on it, or do I need to get a piece of Lexan. I just don't wantto throw off the temperature's.

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    The one we got from gqf for our first sportsman is about 3/8 of an inch thick but it is a full door see thru. I would go for something thick but it wouldn't be hard to cut a hole in the door and glue it in

Steve in NC

3. MandyH

That's what I'm thinking. All 3 of my sportman's that burned in the hatching house fire had full see thru doors. Well we just bought 2 more sportsman's from an old man with the solid doors and I want to put a strip down the middle so I can see at least something. We are supposed to be getting another sportsman incubator and a sportsman hatcher this weekend. I just came from lowe's and they didn't have a piece that was 1/2 inch but they had some that was like.38 inches so I got a big piece of it to at least do them like the new sportsmans and put a viewing window in the middle. Now, I just have to wait til tomorrow to get it done. AHHHHH!!!!!

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I thought you could buy replacement doors with the see through door. Maybe they are expensive though. [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My Dickey has a full acrylic door. It is 3/4 inch thick.

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:You can, I belive they are around $80 We have them on all of our sportsmans

7. MandyH

Well this is a quick, get it done, so I can start hatching something kind of deal. I will eventually get the full acrylic doors for all 4, but for now I am trying to make due because I have about 300 eggs sitting in the kitchen in a bucket, and about 250 coming Saturday from a man that's just giving me silkies, dominiques, buff's and I don't remember what all else.

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Ah ha, I would think you could make a small window like the new sportsmans fairly easy.

9. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:The heater in the Sportsman is big enough to cope with the small loss of insulation.

You could even double glaze it if you wanted.

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Have a used one, put a wood door back on. Have a full clear door that came on one. Make you a good deal, as a BYC Member. pm me will get back to you in a few days I hope.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by