Tell me how you seperate your ducks during breeding season....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    With pics, if you want. I am just curious as to how I am suppose to seperate them, and how you guys do it. We are working on an enclosure for all of my ducks, but when I think about breeding season (want my Anconas with my Anconas only!) I get a bit anxious....not sure what to do. All this time and money spent on getting my yard all perfect for my ducks and then realize spring is coming really soon! [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have a huge shed where my ducks sleep and spent the day in bad or cold weather. I use metal fence panels that can be moved around to keep them enclosed in the shed - and simply partition off different areas for breeding pairs and trios. I tend to just hatch eggs from a particular group at a time then return them to the flock and separate out another pair or trio. That way I also have more control over knowing who are the parents of each duck. Not a particularly good photo - but you will get the idea. its actually two girls in the far area in this pic. There are two whos eggs I wont hatch from- so they get segregated at night when they are laying . Out in the yard - I just have different areas fenced off so I can still let everyone out of the shed. I just let out the breeding trio or pair first into their smaller area- then the flock can have the rest of the yard.

[​IMG]

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My ducks are placed into covered dog kennels at night. During breeding season, they are separated by breed; one breed per kennel.

Then they take turns being outside during the day. One group is let out and then put away again before the next is let out.

When I am not hatching eggs, they all run together, but surprisingly keep to their own flock, although there are no disagreements between the separate gangs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by