1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tell me if I'm wrong

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by maridybear, Jan 7, 2015.

1. maridybear

maridybear Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    We got these chicks from friends who have a very mixed flock (several different rooster and hen breeds). They are about three weeks old in the first pics. At that point I had no clue what they might be. I include these pics because I know what they look like very young can help identify.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are (below) at 8 weeks. After some research, I am pretty sure I have a Black Sex Link pullet. Not sure what the blonde ones are, but they look like pullets. And the two that look like Red Sex Links should be pullets, but their large red combs and wattles confuse me. And the last one (red with the back tail feathers) looks like a Rhode Island Red, but not sure. If it is a RIR (or Production Red), then would it be a roo with that large red comb and wattle?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I appreciate your help. They are now 10 weeks old. I think I'll try to get some new pictures today. We're really hopping we have mostly girls.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

So glad you joined! Its hard to say what they are because of the pictures. If you could get better pictures that would be great! But I agree with the white and red ones be red-sex links.

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Hard to say, but the RIR looks like a pullet.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Does your friend have Red Sex-Link hens or Red Sex-Link roosters? If so, then the ones that look like Red Sex-Links may not actually Red Sex-Links. The sex-linking only works for one generation. Your white and red birds, which should be females, could be males if your friend crossed Sex-Links with another breed. They have rather large, red combs for the age, so I might lean towards roosters.

To me, your Black Sex-Link looks more like just a random mix, as she seems to have a more partridge-like color instead of black with orange, like they should be. But, "it" is a pullet.

Your red bird does look like a Production Red. I would say cockerel.

The whitish bird that appears on the right in the last photo is a pullet. She looks like a mixed breed.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    X4

8. maridybear

maridybear Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    Thanks so far for the responses. I got some updated, better pictures today. We'll see if the thoughts are the same with better pics. As to @Wyandottes7 question, I have no idea what type of chickens they have. My friend doesn't know their breed names (weird, I know :). And I've never seen them.

I've heard that sex link offspring won't be good layers (providing they are female, of course.) Do you all know if that's true?

The pictures below were taken today. The chickens are 10 1/2 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    #1 RIR? Production Red? Cockerel?

[​IMG]
    #2 Suspected Red Sex-link pullet, but what about that comb and wattle?

[​IMG]
    #3 Suspected Red Sex-link pullet, but what about that comb and wattle?

[​IMG]
    #4 Suspected pullet of unknown heritage - She has some feathers on her legs and feet

[​IMG]
    #5 Suspected pullet of unknown heritage - She has some feathers on her legs and feet

[​IMG]
    #6 Suspected Pullet of unknown heritage - She has some feathers on her legs and feet

[​IMG]
    Bonus identification: I was told this was a white leghorn when I got her, but with those cheeks and small comb I'm thinking related to an Americauna? She is an old hen, we got her last summer as a companion for our single hen (long story) until we could get more chickens. She has never laid an egg so I can't use that to aid in identification.

And I have to say, I am in awe of so many of your beautiful pictures. The ones above were just about the only good ones I got today from our photo shoot. Most of them were blurry, or looked like this...
    [​IMG]

LOL :)

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

10. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    3 cockerels, 3 pullets, older Easter egger for sure. Look like mixed breeds to me. Probably won't lay as many eggs as red sex linked. Keep the red cockerel if I were you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by