Tell me if this is a bad idea???

Scifisarah

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Rockford MI
My Coop
My Coop
So I have all bantam cochins, 12 in my adult flock and I have two hens sitting on a dozen eggs (from Lucky Pickens Farm) that are due to hatch this Sunday. While at the feed store today, there were some chicks marked "Exotic Chickens $5.99". Most were white silkies, but I was suprised to find they had two splash standard sized cochins. I'd love to have my flock of bantam cochins, with one splash standard sized hen, just to look silly. If the chicks turn out roosters, I know I would have to rehome them since I don't want a standard rooster beating up on my bantams.

Do you think it would be okay to buy 1 or 2 of these chicks, now 2 days old and raise them with the chicks that will be hatching this Sunday? One of my hens in particular is very mellow and I don't think she'd mind a chick or two being added to her clutch. Need help quick - and trying to fight the urge to run back out to the store now to get them.

I don't see what it would hurt, I love cochins I have 5, a banty pair and 3 full size pullets

I don't think it would hurt a bit. I have 8 Bantam Cochin hens and 3 roos they all live with my standard size eggs layers and all of them get along just fine...

Well phooey, I called the hatchery they get the chicks from, and they ended up being porcelain d'uccles that were a few weeks old. I figured since they had gotten them in yesterday, they were day olds. I may snag a white silkie chick since they looked a little smaller and I don't have any white chickens right now. I just like the idea of having one odd looking one that doesn't quite fit in. :)

Back
Top Bottom