Tell me is isn't so - I'm afraid my Australorp is a he instead of a she.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peeps4me, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Peeps4me

Peeps4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My chicks are 9 weeks old and this one has developed more of a comb and the start of wattles along with a deeper pink color. She acts exactly the same as her sister so I hope she is just maturing faster. Anyone care to give their opinion? I will be so unhappy if it's a little roo.[​IMG]

2. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    I have no opinion to offer because I'm new to chicks myself, but I know that usually a full body picture is helpful for identifying gender as well.

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I would think that at 9 weeks the comb would be even further along if it was a rooster--but I don't have any experience with Australorps.

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I have raised many BA and that is a hen. I think that they are by far my favorite breed.
    Congrats!

5. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Not sure, one of mine is 14 weeks and she's just now starting to get red. Here's a pic of her when she was about 8 weeks old.
    Wishing you luck that it is a little girl that you have.... But to be honest, it looks like a roo to me. I could very well be wrong though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. Peeps4me

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks citychickx6. I wanted to hear "she is a hen" as I am so attached to her and her sister. I have 2 BO's and 2 EE's, but these BA's are the sweetest and friendliest of the bunch. They are always ready to be picked up and carried around. They also have such a fun and curious nature. Love 'em!

7. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Looks like a hen to me:D

1 person likes this.
  8. Peeps4me

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks AuberyMirkwood. Now I can give her a girly name!

9. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    its hen and iw as wondering watt he breed of the pullet next to it is because i have the same looking chick

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a production red to me :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by