Tell Me It Ain't So

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnhomechick, Nov 3, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Was talking to a cattle farmer I know. Told him that last week I had two eggs from my red sex links that weighed a quarter pound each.

He told me that's a bad sign and my hens won't live long because it will tear the vent.

He is an older man who hasn't raised chickens for years. I was hoping he didn't understand the newer hybrids.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

2. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Anyone?

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    That is the first time I have ever heard anything like that~~I sure hope it is not true because one of my hens lays some very big eggs, too. But probably not as big as yours it sounds like. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I don;t know what to say, it's possible that he is familiar with certain breeds and not used to the larger super egg breeds that are being bred, etc.... but then again, maybe there IS a tradeoff for so many X-large eggs from one bird.. I dunno... hopefully someone will know the answer to this...... though common sense says that if she is used to laying this size egg then she is probably built to do so.

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:My RSL's are 6 mos. old. So, they have been laying for a couple months. Usually the eggs are large........but those were HUGE. So huge, I weighed them. I couldn't fit them in a box to sell them. They were double yokers but the yokes were huge.

The rsl are my favs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by