1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tell me it isn't so!! 8 week old chicks developing bumped (spurs?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by desertskynm, Nov 23, 2010.

1. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Hi everyone...

Ok, maybe I am grasping at straws but 4 out of 4 of my 8 week old chickens are developing bumps right where spurs should be...

Spurs, right?

Any other possibility?

[​IMG]

Misty

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, those are spurs where the bumps are. Both males and females have them. Spurs don't mean a thing, I have a hen with larger spurs than my rooster.

3. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    hens have spurs?? which breeds? Mine are rir and easter eggers crossed with what I think is a FBCM or something that looks like that...

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I've felt spur bumps on pullets, they generally don't develop into anything.
    I almost flipped when my Banty chick started getting them. They never grew into anything and she's laying now.
    Also, I've seen them on a batch of RI White pullets.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup, hens can have spurs. It's not breed specific though. My buttercup has them, and one of my welsummer hens has them. The other welsummer hen does not have any.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Yes, hens can have spurs. I have a two year old Red Star hen with 3/4 inch spurs! [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Both male and female chicks have spur bumps. In most instances, the hen's spurs never develop, but upon occassion a hen will grow full spurs. Relax!

8. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Yes i second what everyone is saying. Also when a hen starts to get older and stops laying eggs sometimes she will grow out her spurs. So dont fear anything.

9. macybean

macybean Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    I have 3 RIR and 3 PBR. They are 18 months old. One RIR is developing a large set of spurs...she's definitely a hen as I've seen her lay eggs. I'm thinking none of the others are going to mess with her! From what I've read, 1 in 10 hens can develop spurs. So far she's still a good layer.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Spurs can be on a male or female, and at such a young age - They will both look the same. A male doesn't develop true spurs that point out until he's about a year old.

At this age, look more at the comb than the spurs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by