Tell me it isn't so...

JO & RH

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 3, 2008
St Petersburg, FL
We bought three Buff Orphington chicks from a
shipment of 25 one day olds. They are about 6 weeks old and currently are
doing fine outside in our orchid house/chicken coop.
However, when I enter the house, the three run
toward their food then, two will stop and face each
other, jump up and down a couple of times almost
butting breasts, then continue. COULD WE HAVE
TWO MALES OUT OF THREE !!! Or is this typical
chicken behavior regardless of sex. We are new
townies with chickens

JO

wee.gif
thank you thank you thank you! I thought that all of my chicks were roos! They are almost ALL doing that chest butting thing and I thought (was told!) that only the roos do that. I can't believe that out of 9 chicks, they're all roos!
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

You all just made my night! I'll sleep much better now! Thanks again!

I bought 5 buff orps and one of them always runs up to my hand when I reach in to get the waterer and bumps her chest against me.

They are SUPPOSED to all be pullets, but then again, mistakes can happen. One of them does have a suspicious red ridge on it's head, but that's not the one that chest-bumps my hand.

trish

Mine are almost 4 months old and I know that at least four are pullets, one cockeral and the "who knows" silkies. Every morning when I let them out they fly, puff up their hackles and mock fight. It is hilarious, and Big Buff the Cockeral knows it. The girls are just sorting out who is boss. My money is one the bossy RIR or her little SLW friend who is a month younger. The personalities are coming out, and its fun to watch. Don't worry about the mock fighting, they're just being chickens.

Back
Top Bottom