Tell me it's going to be ok...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KaliMoran, Aug 16, 2013.

1. KaliMoran

KaliMoran Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Kittery, Maine
    Hi all,
    So I finally managed to twist my husband's arm enough to convince him to build a nice little run so we can move our 4 gals from my parent's house to ours. We used chicken wire for the upper 3 feet, and welded wire around the lower 3, plus an extra foot underground. When shopping for welded wire, however, I paid closer attention to the cost (fool!) than the size of the openings. Not until we installed it and said husband had finished filling in his laborious trenches did I actually notice the massive looking welded wire I bought. I think it's 2"x3" spacing. Agh!! Will this do us any good at all??? I can easily add a layer of regular chicken wire around the outside, but I can't imagine suggesting we re-dig at this point and bury a smaller gauge fencing. The chickens and I would probably both be sent packing.
    Until now, our chickens have lived in a very suburban and friendly, fenced backyard. We'll be moving them to a slightly more rural neighborhood with woods behind. It's a fairly developed area overall, but we do have about 30 acres of woods behind us. We have a cat and a dog (chicken friendly) to help patrol the land and a tight little coop to shut the girls in at night. I guess I'm just not sure exactly what to expect. How insistent are little burrowing animals like weasels or rats? Any other suggestions aside from re-digging?? Is our welded wire completely useless??!!

Thanks!!

2. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Do you mean against predators

3. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    If so you may want to add chicken wire around outside no need to redig

4. JaneJohnReed

JaneJohnReed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    South-central Iowa
    I'm new at this chicken thing, having just begun a bit over a year ago, but have been reading this site quite a lot. With that disclaimer out of the way, I can't imagine that you would have to re-dig in anything else. Anything digging will hit the wire in place and not be able toget through. Depending on your location and the critters that like chicken dinner or to snatch eggs that inhabit your area, the spacing on the wire may very well be too big. To fix that, just overlay a smaller mesh over what you have. Anchor it well to your structure and I'd bet you'll be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by