Tell me mine isn't the only one....(pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LizGled628, Nov 27, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Do your chickens seem to lay in the weirdest places? Mine just started laying a few weeks ago and while they sometimes lay in the coop, they also like to lay in the woods, the flower beds, and most recently...the litter box! I heard "the egg song" and it sounded a little close to the house, so I ran outside and found her squished in the litter box, where she left an egg. She got a little miffed when I tried to snap a pic, she gave me her butt!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How weird! Mine use kitty litter boxes as their nestboxes, but the boxes are in their coop and meant to be nestboxes. They have hay in them, not kitty litter [​IMG]

3. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    They do lay in the craziest places! However you should be careful because
    it's possible they could get toxoplasmosis ( I believe is what it's called) from eating it. But if I'm not correct I'm sorry for the false information.
    However I'm pretty sure that it's right.

4. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Sorry double post [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  5. jtl977

jtl977 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    One of our chickens has started laying her eggs off the perch which break when it falls to the ground. No idea what to do about it yet! But yes, the lay wherever they feel like it!

6. bruinfan

bruinfan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    I have a RIR that lays in a 12" round plastic planter under my deck. I thought she stopped laying for a few days due to the cold weather, but then I heard her under the deck and there she was. I thought she was dusting herself(planter is full if dirt) but when she got up there was an egg. I don't know if that was her first egg there or if others were laid and then eaten because I didn't find her spot right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by