Tell me more about foxes hunting habits. Is this fox?

This is the toughest time of year to keep the birds safe from the fox. They mate in winter and usually have their pups in March. By May the fox needs to bring home a larger food supply because the pups are getting bigger, hungrier and will need to learn how to hunt. On Thursday the fox took two of my neighbors guinea hens. I managed to get her to drop the second one but then had to jump in front of her to stop her from grabbing it again. Saturday the fox took 1 of my guinea hens, I interupted her attempt to take another and despite the fact that I was here and had chased her away, she came back a third time and managed to get a second bird. They are very bold and persistant.
When they don't have pups, the fox will be active during the day but not predatory towards larger prey like birds. They will always prey on birds at night though. A fox is amazingly fast - they can whiz past you so fast that all you see is a long streak go by - depending on the breed of fox they can run up to 40 mph.

Something else to think about, a fox will NEVER forget where it got an easy meal. It will check back occasionally or regularly as long as it is in your area.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom