Tell me more about "Frizzles"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by harrisville chicken, Apr 18, 2009.

1. harrisville chicken

harrisville chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    We're first-time chicken keepers. Lost two chicks from the mail order delivery at the beginning of April. We quickly searched around town to replace them (we only had four to start with and wanted to have companions that were all raised together.) We thought we were buying RIR hen chicks from the local feed store. The two replacements have fuzzy feet and are definitely FRIZZLES.

Is is possible that even with fuzzy feet, they're still RIR's? I'll post pics of them when I can.

Where can I find more information about frizzles? I'm only finding small bits of info, but no definitive source I can read more about them. I know some consider them a distinct breed, others say it's a variation that can occur in any breed. If I do have RIR Frizzles, can I expect the laying prowess that RIR's are famous for? So many questions, such little information.

2. harrisville chicken

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the pics.

3. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    I don't know the answer to your question, but those are adorable chicks!!!! [​IMG]

sandyj

4. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    More then likey they are red frizzle cochins bantams especially with the feathered feet

They are great little chickens just full of personality

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Don't look anything like my RIR's BUT they sure are cute.

6. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Those are definetly cochin frizzles [​IMG]
    I had two pullets i just gave them to my friend and they were really good-tempered and would walk right up to me. They wre my favorites. You wont be disappointed when they mature:)

7. harrisville chicken

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    Do Cochin Frizzles go broody / lay well?

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awww cuteness!!! Definately cochin frizzles. Mine hasn't started laying yet but my other cochins are excellent broodies and egg layers

ETA this is what they will look like at 6 months old
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by