Tell me the best way to cut Hardware cloth!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hawkeye95, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Seriously, because I just used a little clipper and clipped through every little square and I'm ready to [​IMG] !! Please tell me there is a better way to do this! BTW-- I even tried using the Dremel tool with the flat vibrating cutter-- It worked --sort of, but I nearly ruined the blade. It's my DH's and he doesn't know I did that... [​IMG] I was just going crazy snipping one square at a time. [​IMG]

2. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    A good pair of tin snips is like useing scissors. That's what I use.

3. notiones

notiones Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Big Springs, KS
    I'll second tsmith1499. I cut a bunch over the weekend with a pair of tin snips and it was easy as could be.

4. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    My husband is an electrician, don't tell him I raided his tool bag... I used his fancy shmancy wire cutter things. I tried tin snips, but they just sort of crimped it instead of cutting.

5. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I used some kind of sharp metal cutter that my DH had in the garage -
    with gloves.
    One square at a time.
    The whole darn thing.
    Gloves helped, without them = blisters.
    Good luck

6. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Tin snips or a pair of heavy duty pruning shears work. I actually use a pair of paramedic shears I picked up years ago. They go through it just like butter.

7. ChickEngineer

ChickEngineer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I just rolled it out on the driveway, put some bricks to hold it down. Used a heavy duty pair of tinsnips, which may be your problem?

8. jgaepi

jgaepi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    davis, ca
    Aviation, angled snips work really well. About $18.

9. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like I'll be using tin snips, then! Thanks! I tried to get out the tin snips that my DH just bought this summer and he saw me and told me NO. So either I need to buy my own, or sneak his pair out... Does it ruin them? Yeah, I was using wire cutters that I use for bailing wire on my hay bales. And it must be getting dull, because not only was it slow-- each square at a time, but I was having to twist the plier cutters back and forth to cut thru it! I'm getting ready to cut a whole lot more wire this week and I knew I could not continue on this way. It took me FOREVER.

10. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I haven't yet cut into my roll of hardware cloth since I'm still early days in building our coop, but when I was putting up a temporary fence of chicken wire I just used an old pair of secateurs and they worked really well.

Definitely use good hardwearing gloves and weigh it down with bricks (or a helper!) - wire is a pain to work with at the best of times!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by