Tell me these are all Roo's? PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by melissastraka, Mar 23, 2009.

1. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    i have separated my roos and hens into different pens and i am hoping i got it right...

BR's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SLW
    [​IMG]

RIR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ARE THESE HENS?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. wolfie

wolfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    How old are they it will be easier if you tell us the age:D but the last one looks like a pullet:/ I am not sure but someone might know better than I.

3. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    ABOUT 4-5 MONTHS. MY DH GOT 25 FROM SOMEONE AND THEY WERE ALL SUPPOSE TO BE PULLETS! LIVE AND LEARN. THEY HAVENT STARTED CROWING YET THOUGH. I THINK MY SEABRIGHTS HAVE THAT DOWN [​IMG]

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    They look right except that RIR may be a hen. And that SLW is not a SLW, looks like another BR.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The one you labeled SLW is not one nor is it a BR. Now, it could be a cross between the two. Very odd markings.

6. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I have two like that! I will run out and get a couple of picts.

7. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Here are the other two: I thought they were BR roos but i dont know now [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The top one seems to be a BR roo, but the middle one looks like it could be a SLW/BR cross. It's not exactly barring nor lacing. I've seen some messy barring, but that is beyond that. Hmm.

9. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    If the two black ones are the same age, the one is probably a hen. The comb is so much less developed than the other. She also has a hen shape compared to him.

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    It really depends on their age. If they are actually 4-5 months old, then their combs are pullet size and they should start laying soon. If they were 3 months old, then you may have a few roos.

Here's a photo of my barred rocks at 20 weeks of age (4 1/2 mos. old) - started laying last week at age 22 weeks and their combs are even bigger now.

[​IMG]

This is my production red (1/2 RIR) at 19 weeks (4 months) old.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by