Tell me these are hens please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wiss0023, Aug 5, 2010.

1. wiss0023

wiss0023 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have 6 "5 week old" Standard Silver Laced Cochins, the three below I am keeping, in hopes they are hens. They seem to have the smallest and lightest combs. Your input on gender . . . do I have three pullets here?

Chicken 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last question I have is: The SLC below - markings are different than the others as the feathers are black with a small "penciled" white mark in the center, as opposed to the white feather with dark lace on the edges only. Is this common to have color variances with the silver laced, or will this one eventually feather out the same as the others . . . and if it will be different, is the larger or smaller white center preferred? I really appreciate your responses, as I am new at this!
    [​IMG]
    (Is this a pullet?)

p.s. don't be alarmed by the red marks on the three chicks first pics . . . I did this to mark the ones I planned on keeping . . . only thought after the fact putting red on a chicken might not be a great idea, but no bullying or pecking has occurred

2. wiss0023

Aug 1, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Anyone? I never seem to get a reply (I guess one friendly visitor, who was helpful) I have posted this three times . . . I feel like the odd man out . . . kinda.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    The Last one is the only one i would wonder about, but it might just look a little less girly because the pic is closer up.
    I'd think all girls if i were you.

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    They are looking like pullets so far - - - judging on combs alone.

Soon, you should be able to confirm by their saddle feathers. Wait a couple of more weeks and take pics of their low back area.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

The last one could be rooster, but I believe the others are hens. Don't know anything about the coloring on the penciled varieties though as I only raise partridge cochins.

6. wiss0023

Aug 1, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for responding:celebrate I have also thought the third one is more questionable than the other two as the comb seems a little separated at the back and stands higher. These are my first cochins, so I appreciate the input.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I read your post but have no experience with the breed. Just wanted you to know you weren't being ignored [​IMG] Maybe in a few more weeks it will be much easier to tell their gender.

8. wiss0023

Aug 1, 2010
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Thanks

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think people have been reluctant to respond since at this point in the game it is pretty much conjecture. When your chicks grow up a little a more definitive guess can be ventured. People just don't want to give you bad information. Let them grow up so that you don't make a mistake. Patience is a virtue. (I've been told that a lot."[​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup all guessing at this point... but if I had to guess, I'd guess all girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by