Tell me were getting close!

Reneescoop

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2017
So my lovely Easter Egger - Allie, who is 32 weeks old and has not layed an egg yet. Ive been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...... I noticed early this week that her pea comb started coming in really noticeably and by the weekend she had a full blown beep bright red pea comb.
Well, today while collecting eggs our rooster mated with her. Ive never seen him have interest in her until today. I spend alot of time out in the coop with the birds, so this is truly something new!
My question is, now that shes clearly mature comb wise and that the rooster is finding her of interest, HOW MUCH LONGER DO I HAVE TO WAIT?! Lol!! This is torture.

We had a hawk attact this week, killing off three birds. So im down to only one easter egger hen, and i cant wait to find a colored egg in the coop!

I'm guessing within 1-2 weeks. If I remember right, that's how it was when mine started laying. All the sudden huge red comb, then squatting, then eggs! I'm in the same boat right now with one of my girls. The past few days she's wanted to be mated for the first time. Any day now we will have eggs!

I'm guessing within 1-2 weeks. If I remember right, that's how it was when mine started laying. All the sudden huge red comb, then squatting, then eggs! I'm in the same boat right now with one of my girls. The past few days she's wanted to be mated for the first time. Any day now we will have eggs!

Thats awesome! I cant wait! Weve always gotten hens that have already been laying so this is our first time waiting. Its killing me!

Is he an mature adult male over a year old?
Could be tomorrow, could be a few weeks yet.
Good cockbird mounting is best indicator of female sexual maturity.
Sorry you lost your other EE's, hope this one lays blue/green for you.

Is he an mature adult male over a year old?
Could be tomorrow, could be a few weeks yet.
Good cockbird mounting is best indicator of female sexual maturity.
Sorry you lost your other EE's, hope this one lays blue/green for you.

Thank you! He is also 32 weeks. Hes only ever mounted our older hens. Also, we have 2 other roosters that are 18 weeks old. One of them charged me last night so im assuming they are also coming of age?

He is also 32 weeks. Hes only ever mounted our older hens.
Sounds like he knows his business.

Also, we have 2 other roosters that are 18 weeks old. One of them charged me last night so im assuming they are also coming of age?
These guys could cause chaos, could also cause older cockerel to be more aggressive with girls.
I'd separate them for now at least....do you plan on keeping them?
If not now would be a good time to get rid of them.
My extra cockerels re in the freezer by 16 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom