Tell me were getting close!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Reneescoop, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Reneescoop

Reneescoop In the Brooder

Nov 7, 2017
    So my lovely Easter Egger - Allie, who is 32 weeks old and has not layed an egg yet. Ive been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...... I noticed early this week that her pea comb started coming in really noticeably and by the weekend she had a full blown beep bright red pea comb.
    Well, today while collecting eggs our rooster mated with her. Ive never seen him have interest in her until today. I spend alot of time out in the coop with the birds, so this is truly something new!
    My question is, now that shes clearly mature comb wise and that the rooster is finding her of interest, HOW MUCH LONGER DO I HAVE TO WAIT?! Lol!! This is torture.

We had a hawk attact this week, killing off three birds. So im down to only one easter egger hen, and i cant wait to find a colored egg in the coop!

ShiftyShickens likes this.
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    She's gonna lay tomorrow. I guarantee it! Just kidding! But's she's getting close......

aart and ShiftyShickens like this.
  3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I'm guessing within 1-2 weeks. If I remember right, that's how it was when mine started laying. All the sudden huge red comb, then squatting, then eggs! I'm in the same boat right now with one of my girls. The past few days she's wanted to be mated for the first time. Any day now we will have eggs!

Reneescoop and ShiftyShickens like this.
  4. Reneescoop

Nov 7, 2017
    Haha!! Your just as bad as she is lol!

5. Reneescoop

Nov 7, 2017
    Thats awesome! I cant wait! Weve always gotten hens that have already been laying so this is our first time waiting. Its killing me!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is he an mature adult male over a year old?
    Could be tomorrow, could be a few weeks yet.
    Good cockbird mounting is best indicator of female sexual maturity.
    Sorry you lost your other EE's, hope this one lays blue/green for you.

7. Reneescoop

Nov 7, 2017
    Thank you! He is also 32 weeks. Hes only ever mounted our older hens. Also, we have 2 other roosters that are 18 weeks old. One of them charged me last night so im assuming they are also coming of age?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds like he knows his business.

These guys could cause chaos, could also cause older cockerel to be more aggressive with girls.
    I'd separate them for now at least....do you plan on keeping them?
    If not now would be a good time to get rid of them.
    My extra cockerels re in the freezer by 16 weeks.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  9. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Keep up the protein. Switching to layer feed too soon can really put the brakes on the development of Easter Eggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: