tell me what is the best egg-laying duck in your opinion!!!!! :) :) :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Taylor, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    i have campbells and they are good egg layers but i want some more breeds. to you what are the best egg layers and are they domesticated and eat minimum feed, and do they fly??

2. duckling 1234

duckling 1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Cecil County. MD
    I like Indian Runners, Wels Harlequin, and Blue Swedish, none of which fly.

1 person likes this.
  3. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I would say consistently overall, my Runners are my best layers and no, they don't fly. [​IMG]

4. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    What is the best layer may not necessarily be dictated by breed alone. Strains within breeds could possibly vary considerably productivety-wise. Generally, Campbells are one of the best breeds for egg production but productivity may be influenced by the strain of campbell (or any other breed for that matter) that you have/keep. Therefore, other breeds (or strains of) could also be quite good layers, including some of the heavier breeds.

As an example, I currently keep Saxony Ducks developed from Pekin, Buff Orpington, Appleyard, & Rouen which the originator told me lay better than the White Indian Runners (show type) that he also keeps/breeds. Classified as a heavy breed & they cannot fly. They are likely bigger eaters than your Campbells though.

Cheers

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    My Saxony lays jumbo sized green eggs every day. Silver Appleyard lays a jumbo white egg every day. Both probably eat more than the smaller ducks, though.

6. Outbackhill Kennels

Outbackhill Kennels Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    I have owned several duck breeds and I can say easily the best layers are Khaki Campbells and Welsh Harlequin, both of which have been recorded to lay over 350 eggs a year. They both can't fly and are very striking looking ducks. I currently have 5 Harlequins and they are very personable. They aren't a very big duck but are very easily tamed, I have one hen that won't leave you alone and I never even tried to tame her down. The Harlequins also come is the regular silver and the gold mutation i'll post pics of both.

Silver(click thumbnail for bigger photo)
    [​IMG]

Gold
    http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...42507548_100000044092724_196581_3976622_n.jpg

Oh I forgot to add that my swedes personally they aren't good layers at all.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Another vote here for Welsh Harlequins and runners. I have both. While the runner eggs are bigger, the Welsh Harlequins are friendlier. (My runner is a bit of a spazz)

8. The only possible better layers than Welsh Harlequin and Khaki Campbells are some of the newest breeds put out by a few hatcheries like the Golden Cascade, Golden 300 Hybrids, or White Golden Layers. I also am very happy with Harlequins and Campbells but I happened to get my hands on some of the White Layer eggs to try out my incubator with before my ducks started laying. They won't be first generation but it will be interesting to see how they compare.

9. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    My vote is for Indian Runners !!!! They are very feed efficent, lay lots of nice large eggs and do not fly. To top it all off they also are great comedians. I own 10 [​IMG]

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Indian Runners

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by