tell me what this beauty is...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by City Chicken, Sep 25, 2012.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    pretty sure she's a pullet because the rooster tried to mate with her... she was born late may, so that makes her.... almost 18 weeks old. she has really pretty brown/black/green feathers and is fairly small. we got her in the 'heavy breed' pack from mcmurry...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    I hate to say but I think it is a rooster. maybe your rooster is confused as for breed, I see some barring on wings and what appears to be brown feather. could be some sort of wyandott???

3. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    NOOOOO!!! haha. well, maybe it is.
    darn it. i'd love to know the breed so that i could figure out what it's supposed to look like in the long run. we process at the end of october, and i don't want to process the hens.

4. SweetSilver

SweetSilver Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not seeing why that wouldn't be a pullet. Yes, I see some mild curving of tail feathers, but not all my hens have stiff, round tail feathers.

So, why the roo ID?

5. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Partridge Rock...I'm gonna say pullet, but I'm seeing an aweful lot of black/green feathers mixed in on the shoulders. However, with most of my PR, the sex is VERY obvious...the comb would be much larger and the blocky color more pronounced.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    partridge rock cockeral

7. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    ok, i am agreeing on the partridge rock... still wondering on the sex. if it's a cockerel at what age will i begin to see more comb/feathers etc. will this be figured out in 5-6 weeks when we process?

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It's a cockerel. Rocks are slow to mature. I'm pretty sure that in 5 or 6 weeks you will know for certain.

9. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    i think you are probably right. i have seen SOME hens online that still have the pretty coloring, but generally its all roosters! dang it! 'she' was so pretty.

10. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I will say....if you can have roosters in your area, you might want to hold on to him. My PR roos have the BEST personalities of any roos I own. They are mellow, friendly, good protectors and very non-aggresive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by