Tell me what to do....order now from Hollderands stock or wait?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Help! Seriously.....I can get some ducklings from Boondockers...I want Anconas SOOOOOO bad. They are $10 each, with a minimum of ten ducklings (gulp), or I can wait till spring and get them for less than $5 each. I know these are good ducks, though. School is starting...that means registration and clothes!!!! So, how can I spend that much on DUCKS????????

Tell me what to do!

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Personally, I wouldn't order from Boondockers. Their website demonstrates a blatant lack of breed knowledge (or poor copywriting skills and little concern for how that makes them look). For instance, they seem to know very little about color genetics (it's sad when a backyard hobby farmer like myself understands your duck color genetics better than you do), and on their ancona duck landing page they refer to the breed as a "species." It seems the difference between a species and breed would be pretty basic knowledge for a breeder...

I've also heard horrendous things about their service--stories of ducklings dead on arrival, and refusal to refund. More than one such story.

On the plus side, they do currently have some of the best ancona genetics in the world since they are still only a generation or two away from Holderread's birds. Sadly, unless they learn more about the breed and really shape up their operation, the breed is likely to go downhill quickly under their hands.

Sorry to be such a downer about them, and for fair disclosure, I have not dealt with them personally. But I am so very NOT impressed with their website.

So, in short, if you can get them from someone you trust locally I'd personally go that route. If, on the other hand, you're able to successfully obtain birds from Boondockers you will probably have some of the last of the Holderread ancona legacy, which is valuable in its own way.

And if you happen to have a happy experience with them, I hope you'll share. I would love to be able to say nice things about them, because I LOVE anconas and am so sad at the thought that the Holderread line may die out or become significantly weakened. [​IMG]

3. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I am expecting an order from Boondockers and I have received excellent service so far. I have heard the horror stories about them as well but I am willing to give them a shot to get my hands on birds from the Holderread lines.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Quote:Yay! The more people who are raising Holderread anconas, the better. I'm glad to hear not everyone receives poor service from them. [​IMG]

5. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Lainey!!!!! YOU ARE KILLING ME! Seriously. WHY do you live soooo far away! I am SO jealous. I know I am annoying, but, still!

I have heard both good and bad about them, and I would love to get my hands on some of their birds, but.....TEN BUCKS a piece with a TEN DUCK minimum....WHY isn't Lainey closer to me??

How does the breed from Boondockers compare from say, Cackle or Plum Run? How do you know that you are getting good stock?

Damn this hobby, anyway! LOL

6. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Have you thought about hatching some eggs for yourself?

7. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Yes......but where do I get the eggs?!?!??! Does Boondockers sell eggs right now? This is such a bad time of year to try to get ducklings......spring is so much more abundant. I want to incubate....have wanted to for a while, but....kinda scared!

8. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    You might check with AuroraSprings here on BYC. She might still be selling hatching eggs. I am not sure if Boondockers are selling hatching eggs right now or not, wouldnt hurt to email them and ask [​IMG]

9. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    What is hilarious about that is that I emailed her, or at least I emailed AuroraSpringsStables, at six this morning. So far, I haven't heard anything. Maybe I should go the egg route, huh??

10. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Yeh but if you get them from holdereads they are good purebred ducks that fit the breed standered (even showquality) but if you get them somewhere else you have no idea what they will be.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by