tell me what you know about breeding chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Mander, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Mander

Mander Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    weirsdale, fl
    So, i got 12 chicks i hatched, where the eggs came from he has 1 rooster and about 7 mommas.... out of the 12 chicks i have 4 roosters.... even tho they have same daddy but different mommas can i breed them? Or do i got to get rid of my 4 roosters and get a rooster else where? If thats the case... im gonna be heart broken... one of the roosters is my buddy... hops up to me and snuggles... :/ i love this guy...

2. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    A lot of people have different ways of breeding. Some choose to have many lines in there breeds and some only use 1-2 lines. I personally don't like many lines in breeding cause they look weird. I prefer the 1-2 lines and inbreeding is fine, some may argue and say "inbreeding is bad" but that's my ideology.

Edit: Learned this from the old school poor European farmers/breeders who had there own birds and couldn't afford another persons birds, so they worked with what they had.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Unless they are terribly inbred already it will not hurt to use your favorite.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mander

Mander Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    weirsdale, fl
    Cool! Thanks for ur info. I know pullets can lay up to a few years but how long is a rooster good for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by