Tell me what you think about these chicks! please and thank you.

Kiki

🙄🤚Do More!😩🤚 Less is More® Kiki Winz!
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop

The sign on the cage with all the littles mixed together said :
Americanas
Black Jersey Giants
California Whites
Cuckoo Marans
DK Cornish
RIR
Barred...? Of course they said they could only tell me which ones were girls, not which breed I was choosing....LOL but true.
I picked a few different ones.
4 light yellow ones, 3 blackish (these 3 are pictured above), 1 more on the brownish side???

I would just like to find out what they actually are.

Thanks for you help!

Last edited:
The three blackish ones in the picture look to be Barred Rocks. They are great, sweet chickens that lay brown eggs and they are pretty friendly. I have 5 of them. I can't tell if you have cockerels or pullets or a mix of both. Can you post more pictures of the others? Thanks! :) The others are probably California Whites (the light yellow ones) and a Rhode Island Red (kind of on the brownish side). But, I would need pictures to make a fairly accurate guess. :)

They don't keep so still so pics aren't too good just yet.
The top shows the 3 light yellow ones
and the bottom I think might be a Welsummer...(brownish one)

Was Welsummer on option on the side of the cage when you bought them?
Ok, maybe Barred Rocks or Cuckoo Marans on the blackish ones (they are kind of similar as chicks).
California Whites on the light yellow ones.
Dark Cornish (a meat chicken) or Easter Egger (it's only an Ameraucana if it's tailless).
Those are my best guesses, after seeing the list of chickens you said were on the side of the cage. :)

Ok, maybe Barred Rocks or Cuckoo Marans on the blackish ones (they are kind of similar as chicks).
Dark Cornish (a meat chicken) or Easter Egger (it's only an Ameraucana if it's tailless).
Those are my best guesses, after seeing the list of chickens you said were on the side of the cage. :)

No Welsummer wasn't listed but after much internet research I am guessing that the little brownish is a Weslummer.
I am familiar with Cuckoo Marans and Barred Rocks and I'll be happy with either but now you have given me something else to do....LOOK up the California Whites! Thank you!

I am preferring good egg layers but will keep what ever!

They told me there were one week old, but it is so obvious the blackish ones are much larger.
Then after I paid they said they were 2 or 3 weeks old.

I have NO Idea! I Built a nice coop and run for them outside but I have them in a box motel with a lamp for now.
I live in Texas...Do you think in about 2 weeks I could move them out doors?
I did take them outside for a little while yesterday and am about to do so again this evening.

Last edited:
Barred ones are Marans or Rocks. Marans have white legs, Rocks have yellow.

White chicks with black spots are California whites.

What color legs does the brownish chick have?

Barred ones are Marans or Rocks. Marans have white legs, Rocks have yellow.

White chicks with black spots are California whites.

What color legs does the brownish chick have?

Right now the black one's legs are yellow...
this Welsummer (brownish one) has grayish legs???

Last edited:
Yes, you can definitely move them outside as soon as they have all of their feathers and the fuzz is gone. They recommend keeping a heat lamp available to them until at least 5wks old. Just make sure they'll be safe from cats, dogs, etc. They can probably go into the coop now to get used to it and if they have a run as well, I see no reason not to let them go out right now during the day. :) They'll go back to the light if they're cold.

Back
Top Bottom