Tell me what you think about this BCM cockerel, please.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tracecom, Nov 13, 2014.

1. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Attached is a picture of a BCM cockerel/roo that was hatched on June 17, 2014. That makes him just over 21 weeks old. I would like the comments and opinions of those of you who are knowledgeable about Black Copper Marans. I am interested in what you think about him with regard to breed standards. Any and all specific observations are welcome. Please be totally honest. Is he going to be worth breeding, or should I send him to freezer camp?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The first thing i notice is he is not very 'masculine' in type..... Perhaps because of his young age....... Actually, i am not sure 'he' is a rooster. We need bettet pictures of hackle and saddle feathers. (I am on a phone screen, maybe this makes a difference.)

3. tracecom

Jan 16, 2010
    Same questions, but seven months later. And yes, he is definitely a rooster and proves it dozens of times a day.

[​IMG]

4. enola

Yep he is a rooster!

I wonder why his tail feathers are not longer ?

5. tracecom

Jan 16, 2010
    They are actually a little longer than they appear in the picture. He has a habit of carrying his tail cocked to his left instead of straight back and up. I don't know if it's a habit, or a physiological defect.

6. enola

He may have what is called wry tail, a deformity of his spine. That would explain the 'lump' in his top line in the picture of him as a youngster.

7. tracecom

Jan 16, 2010
    He has nine hens to service, but three of them are rather bedraggled looking, missing head and back feathers. I have two nine week old chicks of his, one of which is a cockerel. So, I just put him up for sale on Craigslist. Maybe his son will be better formed.

8. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    If you want anything close to SOP I would not breed this male. He is very poor quality. Don

9. tracecom

Jan 16, 2010
    I understand about the wry tail, but would like to know what else appears wrong. Thanks.

10. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    I can do a critique if you are up to it, No sugar coating just the facts. Don

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by