Tell me why you love your Giant (standard) Cochins, include pictures

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by posey, Nov 22, 2009.

1. posey

posey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    I have a standard blue cochin who I was told was a hen. We named her Sylvia.
    After the past two days of her/him acting more like a roo I took some photo's and the BYC consensus - it is a roo.

This is my one and only giant cochin and I didn't need another roo. I was kind'a sad.
    However, after hearing from a few BYC giant cochin owners I am intrigued.
    So I'm asking for a little giant cochin encouragement.

Please show us your giant cochins both hens and roos and tell us why you LOVE this breed.
    Why would you encourage someone to get this breed?
    What are its endearing qualities?

To start off, here is a picture of my new boy, who needs a new name. At first I thought we would call him Sylvester but I'm not fond of the name. So I am also looking for ya'lls suggestions of new names for this guy.

[​IMG]

I can't wait to see and hear all about what you love about this breed.[​IMG]

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    havnt you been LOOKING at those pantaloons of his - - I havnt had any experience with this breed but i'd say that the philosophy is the bigger the better...

Names

1. Kasper
    2. Ben
    3. Thunder

(edited to add) will add more when I think of them...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. posey

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Daisygirl, I like the names, just can't use Ben - it's what we named our son. LOL I've learned I can't name pets after our children.

4. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Their soft, friendly, easy to catch and see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. posey

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Lildinkem, they are so beautiful. I like the buff coloring. That bottom picture with the roo and hen is very sweet.

6. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Quote:Yeah we have a cat called stella as well as a rellie, and when you go "stella bella, come here honey" it's earns you a few looks from people who think you are talking to a 60 yr old!

How about these:

4. Kona
    5. Gilligan
    6. Derek
    7. Max
    8. Otis
    9. Zizi

7. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Giant cochins are evil!! You dont want him!!! You need to send him to me, ASAP!!! Thats the least I can do, LOL [​IMG]

He is handsome. I love cochins, they are my favorite. I like the name Sylvester, I have an Ed. LOL.

8. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I love my cochins. They look awsome and come in a ton of colors and markings. They lay nice big eggs too. Eveyone who sees mine want some so I sell a lot of them.

Goldie

[​IMG]

Chili

[​IMG]

Duc
    [​IMG]

Reno and the girls

[​IMG]

Chili likes to sneek into the house and steal dog food

[​IMG]

9. posey

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Quote:They lay large eggs? Someone told me that they lay really small eggs. I thought that seemed odd since these chickens are sort of large. Could they have been refering to the bantam size egg? How often do they lay per week?

Do you sell eggs and started chicks and if you do, do you ship? Your cochins are beautiful too.

Chickenlady. Ed is a great name. We have a rooster who is a Heinz 57 mix that friends gave us because they had too many roos. Their children named him Big Al. We have him as part of a trio with 2 speckled sussex hens named Bertha and Beatrice AKA the Butt Sisters. They love him and he loves them.

Daisygirl, the name Otis is interesting. I'm going to think on that one for a while. Can't use Max, it's my mom's name. So you've picked to names from my family, wonder how many more you will get? You're pretty good and my family is small, only have 3 more male names, I bet if you keep going you'll mention them too.

10. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    How about Sly? (he was pretty sly to make you think he was a she?) LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by