Tell me your story......

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ChirpChickens, Feb 2, 2014.

1. ChirpChickens

ChirpChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Tell me about the first time that you slaughtered/butchered your chickens or other animal! I'll share mine. some of these stories can be kinda interesting... [​IMG]

2. ChirpChickens

ChirpChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    The first time I did, I was 15 and no one in my family had never butchered a chicken before.. didn't even know how. After my brother killed it, we but it in boiling water and plucked it.. when it was time to gut it my dad handed me the knife and said "have fun" and left me and my brother outside! how rude! anyways.. we just found the two parts on the chicken's body that wasn't protected by bone and gutted it from there.. an odd/gross experience for a 15 yr old girl.. i got to go to school and tell my friends all about it... :p oh, and i almost forgot! my little sister weaseled her way out of the work, so i got back at her by chasing her with chicken intestines.. [​IMG]lol

3. acsteele

acsteele Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    Boy Scout weekend camp outs include planning for and buying the food each patrol was going to eat, this particular camp out was different, we were told not to worry about Saturday night's meal, they were going to have chicken dinners delivered to us....

Needless to say when that old truck came bouncing through the woods, the last thing we were expecting was to see our dinner "on the hoof" It was a great experience for mostly suburban kids, a few of us had hunted before, but very few of us had ever butchered our own meat before. It was a great afternoon of learning, we also made the ovens to roast our birds out of cardboard boxes, coat hangers, and foil over the bed of coals.

1 person likes this.
  4. Aacre

Aacre Chillin' With My Peeps

First time I butchered chickens was about 5 1/2 years ago. My husband and were first time chicken owners and we had decided on getting some fast growing chickens, made specifically for butchering. Never again will we get that breed of chicken because they were grossly over weight and we realized that if we didn't butcher them after a certain age, their insides would outgrow them and cause them to die. So after one chicken died, we decided we had to butcher.. Our brother in law came over and taught us and we were taught hands-on. We got to lop heads off, skin, and gut the chickens. We prefer to skin our chickens rather than pluck feathers- it's a lot faster and we're not really chicken skin eaters. After that first time, we've done it ourselves ever since. My husband doesn't have a strong stomach, and since I have bad aim, we've agreed that his job is to lop heads off, and it's my job to gut and clean the chickens afterwards. I often get stuck with skinning them too. [​IMG] It doesn't really bother me at all because I am slightly morbid and can dettach myself, even if I've fed and raised the chicken. I am much happier to eat a chicken that I know that lived a mostly happy life up until a couple of minutes before it's life ends. They are also a lot tastier than store-bought chicken. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by