Tell sex by Wing feathers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mcdaid36, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    We ordered 10 meat birds who are currently just over a week old. I've noticed that 3 of them have short stubby wings and almost no tails, and the rest all have long wing feathers and most of their tail feathers in. My bantam chicks are the same - 1 has very stubby wings, no tail feathers yet, and the rest have long, long feathers. My daughters class hatched eggs last week and they also have 2 with short wing feathers and 6 with long wing feathers.

Is this any indication of the sex of the chicks? Can we say the ones with short, stubby, almost no-feathers yet wings are male? Anyone else notice this with their chicks?

2. mcdaid36

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    No ideas? Maybe this needs to be moved to the raising baby chicks or meat bird forum? I'd love to hear if anyone else has noticed this.

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    That's actually how they sex chicks at McMurray. I watched Dirty Jobs and the egg sexer people were looking at wing feathers and throwing them one way or the other and Mike Rowe asked what he was doing and the guy said sexing them. I have no idea which one is which though, lol.

Edit to say: It's to early and I can't spell [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    The girls have feathers growing in sooner than the males-on their wings-but I guess it can only be done the first day or so-right after they hatch and dry off-after that the boys seem to catch up asap!

5. mcdaid36

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I do know they sex certain breeds the first day by the wings. But this is a week later, and I can't figure out why some are just coming in so slowly. I hope my theory is right because that would mean I have 5 hens and one rooster out of my bantam straight run order, which would be perfect!

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  7. mcdaid36

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    Thanks, that's a great photo to keep on hand! The problem is we are talking about 1 week old chicks, not day olds. I'll try to post some photos so you can see what i mean.

8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I've read that feather sexing only works with certain breeds (I have no idea which breeds) and it can only be done on day olds. Don't think that actually helps ya much though mcdaid36, sorry. [​IMG]

9. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Very cool thank you

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    does anyone know what breeds we are talking about that can be feather sexed? If someone says sex-linked birds-you better explain that one too?[​IMG][​IMG]--thank you so much! and those pictures were awesome!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by