Tell Tale signs of a bad egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ZooMummzy, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Other than smell of course....

I have a egg in my incubator right now on Day 22. No sign of a pip or movement and I haven't candled it yet (don't want to open the incubator too much). When it went it, it did not seem to have this brownish tint with brown dots (like pin points) all over it that has developed over the past day. I have smelled through the vent holes of the incubator and there isn't an unusual odor. What would you do? Are there ways to tell if an egg is bad minus the smell? I had one egg the last hatch that started oozing green/brown stuff which I removed but this one is not doing that. I would hate for it to explode all over the incubator - it ruin the whole hatch - but I also don't want to take it out and open it or dispose of it if there is nothing wrong. Just looking for any experiences you've had that might give me a clue....

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
  3. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Thank you, but I did that float test with my last one. Didn't work at all...all the ones that floated and bobbed, like they were alive, never even developed.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  4. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Try setting them down easy, and if they float high they are not fertile, if they sink you have a dead chick.

5. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Should I try this now on Day 22 or??? It could have just been a fluke the day I tried it....

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I would try it now. Make sure its warm water.

7. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Ok thank you. I will give it another shot. Maybe the water wasn't warm enough and maybe I didn't let the water settle like it says. "User error" as my husband would say [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by