1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tell tale signs that your hen is broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rmelvin23, Sep 11, 2009.

1. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    I need help with my hen. I recently found out that one of my ladies is a fellow and has been mounting my females. One hen gets all loud and mean when she is on the nest. Before I knew that I had a rooster, I would just hold her head aside and take the egg. Should I leave her alone? Will she get off the nest or be on it all the time? How long do eggs take to hatch? The nesting box she likes is outside the coop, will she stay on it at night or go to bed as usual? How do I know that the eggs are fertile? Sorry so many questions. I never thought I would need to know this stuff as I had no intentions of having a rooster.

2. rmelvin23

Jun 22, 2009
    A small update. I read the article about the "bullseye" on fertile eggs. Well I sacrificed two and think that they are indeed fertile. I guess the guy at the feed store needs another lesson in sexing chickens. I need to know what to do about her possibly leaving the nest, how long is too long for her to be off of the nest. I am in orlando and it is about 90 during the day and 75 at night. thanks.

3. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    She will most likely stay on the nest at night becuase the chicks will die without her warmth for incubation. Do you want baby chicks? If you are not interested in having chicks or additional chickens just remove the eggs. [​IMG]

4. rmelvin23

Jun 22, 2009
    Well I just had some fatalities from the neighbors dog digging under the fence, so I wouldn't mind a few babies. Can I put other eggs under her from other chickens? How many eggs will she sit on? Thanks for the help

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

My little tiny bantam D'uccle is sitting on six right now and they are hatching today [​IMG] Two so far four to go. I think six is as many as I would put under her though. She did good. And yes, she will most likely take any eggs you give her. Just set them in front of her and see if she grabs them and pushes them under her. You should set them all on the same day though or she could possibly leave the other eggs for her hatched chicks to get them to food and water. OR keep sitting on the eggs that did not hatch and not show the babies food and water.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  6. rmelvin23

Jun 22, 2009
    could I take the babies out as they are born or leave them with mama? I have 7 ladies altogether and I worry about the other girls picking on the babies. Will mama defend or will I have to seperate the babies from the adults? thanks.

7. rmelvin23

Jun 22, 2009
    Well, all that for nothing. After trying to attack me and puff up three times her regular size and screaming to get away, she left her nest. I guess she is only half assed broody.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Mine has been doing this for a week and a half. Then 3 hours later she pops off the nest like nothing happened. She's even screaming at the other chickens that come in the coop when she's in the nest. I'm still a waiting.[​IMG]

I think I'm going to go tell her I do NOT want a broody, I do NOT want a broody.

9. rmelvin23

Jun 22, 2009
    Same with my girl. She has been doing the freak out act for awhile and acts like that towards anything that moves toward her, including rabbits. I am losing my rooster soon and she is making me mad. I wonder if I pen her up by herself if she would stay on the nest. Has anyone had any luck with forced broodiness? thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by