Tell Tell Signs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JaciesCoop, Dec 2, 2007.

1. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    My cochin girls are still a bit young I believe to be laying (4 mos. 1 week) but I was wondering if there are any signs to tell if they are getting ready to lay. Do their disposition change or do the combs change color or anything.
    Thanks in advance
    Jacie

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Combs turn red, very pretty. They may squat for you (wings hunch up, body goes low, if ya scratch their back the tail goes up:)). Ours became wonderfully docile which was so so fun b/c we could pick 'em up easier. They were rude little teenagers so that change was welcome!

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I spend alot of time around the flock. In my opinion when the voices change, almost like they are singing ( at least singing to them ) then the onset of lay is closing in.

bigzio

4. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Just fyi...it's 'Tell Tale Signs' [​IMG]

I've also heard/read about the combs and wattles getting bright red, but it hasn't meant a single thing with my Jersey Giants. I've seen the pink-combed hens lay just as much as the bright-combed hens. -shrug-

5. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Another weird sign I noticed from my girls: crazy PMS right before they started to lay. They suddenly started picking on each other, and everyone was GRUMPY. My favorite chicken even bit me because I was petting her!

6. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Just fyi...it's 'Tell Tale Signs' [​IMG]

Yes I knew that. There was supposed to be some humor there![​IMG] Like in tell tell me! Oh well! That's why I never became a comedian.[​IMG]

Anyway thank you for all the comments and 2 of them are getting very bright red combs and wattles. And they are starting to get smurky with each other. but not with me yet. Cochins are such loving birds. Except for my one blue who HATES! to be touched!!

Thanks again
    Jacie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by